VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 03-23-2018 08:58 PM

as installed

snug

over snug, maximum applied torque, no issues.

good fit. better feel when barefoot. more rotational resistance than JD Air when fitted. I plan to replace all and orient my rudder pedal hydraulic cylinder bolts to the opposite orientation to be correct. it is lighter, less expensive and has a dual clamp method and it will not collect mud.

Steve Melton 03-23-2018 09:54 PM

model

a couple model shots

10-32 screw, Stainless steel 316 corrosion resistant reduced length .125 less than JD Air screw length, slightly less aft protrusion

uses standard AN3 thin nyloc nut

Steve Melton 03-24-2018 09:03 PM

fine tuning the print

this is approaching completion. total weight per set (pilot side) = 70 grams for the 0.52 extension length. same weight for the co-pilot side set. :)

the screws will be stainless steel 316 rather than the black oxide shown.

I can install these from a sitting position without having to crawl under. Use a T-handle allen wrench and a long piece of tape. I'll try to get a photo.

choose the extension you wish for a custom fit. just like buying a shoe. Amanda can do that because she prints on demand and now has a couple print machines. I think she priced these around $40 a set.

for me, the 0.52 extension length works well for a dress shoe but never felt right for tennis shoes. everyone is different and will have their own preference.

Pedal extension offset from bar options:
0.52 similar to JD Air

Steve Melton 04-02-2018 07:51 PM

I have been skiing in Colorado for a week. Afterwards I was bummed because my youngest daughter was blowing me away. After a couple of yard sales I said that's enough and I slowed down to ski with mother. Now that I reflect, I did my job, teaching the next generation to exceed me. I hope to be able to continue to do that.

Trying a few fits with the rudder pedal extensions. I find I I don't need to apply the bolt clamps for trial fits because the self clamp is good enough. I'll fly with this and wait until I find the optimum extension and then apply the bolted clamps. I can install these from the seated position.

Steve Melton 04-05-2018 08:50 PM

more

after a couple of flights and landings in crosswinds the left rudder pedal extension rotated on the bar. this was with no bolted clamps in place, only the self clamp of the extension providing the support. no issue but it got me thinking about securing against rotation. here is my first idea.

Snowflake 04-06-2018 08:50 AM

Maybe if you pointed the snap opening towards the floor, instead of towards the firewall? That would give you more material to work with near the ends.

Also, why not extend the entire part the width of the pedal? I find that I fly with my feet pushing near the corners of the pedals most of the time... Both for comfort, and because pushing there I don't add brake. If I need brake, I bring my toes closer to the center of the pedal.

Ron RV8 04-06-2018 10:56 AM

For what it's worth...

Full length plus half the upright tubes, suitably notched could not turn. Snap into position may be sufficient. Various extension lengths may then be possible without hazard of turning on the pedal...

Steve Melton 04-06-2018 08:48 PM

appreciate the comments. I remember early on having my feet at the edges in order to not to inadvertently apply brakes. adding the extensions solved that problem. with extensions, you can have your foot in middle or slightly to the outside for comfort to your point.

my model is does not include all of the brake features and adding half round up the sides would be difficult because of interference issues.

I was able to install the extension easily but with force I was able to fracture the anti-rotation feature at the rudder bar arm. I added fillets to the rudder bar arms to improve the model and added material where it is needed to strengthen the anti-rotation feature. I'll rerun the rotation test.

Bill Boyd 04-06-2018 10:42 PM

I'm assuming when you get to production one could buy a set of the highest offset thickness and then file/sand to preference, right?

Snowflake 04-07-2018 10:56 AM

Here's another suggestion, only possible because these are 3-D printed...

My Prusa 3D printer had a number of 3D printed parts for holding the tracks in place that the bed runs on. The tracks snapped into the parts like your footrest snaps onto the rudder pedal. But: the sneaky part is, the parts also had tracks in them that the tie wraps ran through... Completely closed tracks that couldn't be machined or molded on a conventional part, but easy to do when you're 3D printing. During assembly, you just start pushing the tie-wrap into one hole, and eventually the free end pops out of the other hole... Automatically routed, and completely hidden.

You could have hidden slots like that in these pedals, and run either tie wraps or hose clamps internally, out-of-sight. The only visible portion would be on the back of the pedal where the screw to tighten it would hide. That would let you increase the clamping force, and still keep an attractive product.

To increase the friction between the part and the pedal, how about using a solution that bicycle accessory manufacturers have used forever... A strip of rubber clamped between the part and the tube? An old inner tube cut into strips would make great friction pads. Combined with the hose clamp (and maybe even a tie-wrap would be adequate) you might be able to avoid the visually ugly anti-rotation extension... :)