VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 09-30-2017 09:59 PM

RV14 canopy hinge cover

a nice fit. easy to remove canopy hinge cover. tight and secure. no water ingress. no RTV needed. one minute to install. easy break away if canopy jettison required. ABS plastic - paint as required.

RicoB 10-01-2017 09:09 AM

That looks like a great idea!

Snowflake 10-01-2017 11:23 AM

Steve, what does the screw go into? Is the intent that it just swells the plastic and wedges itself in place? Or is there a nut on the back?

My -6 has the P-shaped arms so this wouldn't help me but I know of two -6's with straight arms and this would be a useful addition to them.

Steve Melton 10-01-2017 11:39 AM

the screw fits a brass nut that is embedded into a plastic socket (the blue piece) that is trapped by the rectangular bar when fitted.

this is a small piece and a precise chamfer has been added since this picture to trap the assembly axially against an internal canopy bracket on the RV-14. when completed the assembly cannot move axially. assembly time is about a minute. these parts are small so they need to be printed with the proper print settings to achieve the highest quality.

cdeerinck 10-01-2017 12:32 PM

ABS in heat

Steve - Do you think ABS can tolerate the heat of direct sun under a canopy, and retain its strength and shape?

BillL 10-01-2017 12:37 PM

Sweet !!!I just had to make a tiny aluminum filler and used proseal for my 7. This is super nice, maybe on the first annual.

Steve Melton 10-01-2017 01:45 PM

this design is only for the -14. it will not work for a -7 or -9.

Steve Melton 10-01-2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdeerinck (Post 1207931)
Steve - Do you think ABS can tolerate the heat of direct sun under a canopy, and retain its strength and shape?

ABS can tolerate 80C (176F) if I remember correctly but this part is not inside the canopy.

this part is outside the canopy in the air stream and it needs to be painted to protect from UV or leave them non-painted and replace them when needed. maybe UV protecting paint from a rattle would suffice. replacement would take less than a minute. a nice thing about ABS is that it does not scratch paint.

Snowflake 10-02-2017 09:04 AM

Steve, don't the arms from the canopy slide into these slots when the canopy opens? If not, why are the slots needed in the first place?

Steve Melton 10-02-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake (Post 1208108)
Steve, don't the arms from the canopy slide into these slots when the canopy opens? If not, why are the slots needed in the first place?

it's the RV-14 design. I presume Vans wanted to be sure that if you pulled the canopy ejection handle, the canopy would truly leave. in this case, the plastic hinge covers will depart since they are restrained vertically by a thin plastic section. this plastic piece replaces a thin alum piece supplied by Vans. I like the -14 hinge design.