VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 10-11-2020 07:57 PM

it's best to measure them because the sizes vary. standard Lycoming and Superior is 1 1/4 but the Thunderbolt is 1 1/8. that is my best knowledge at this time.

MacCool 10-11-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1468900)
it's best to measure them because the sizes vary. standard Lycoming and Superior is 1 1/4 but the Thunderbolt is 1 1/8. that is my best knowledge at this time.

Thanks. My engine isn't a Thunderbolt, but I'll check the size.

Steve Melton 10-12-2020 07:20 AM

glares hield brace cover

a nice looking glare shield cover by Josť Javier Pancorbo Castro.

the plastic intersection cover is the long version and worked it better than the shorter version.

ALagonia 10-12-2020 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1468964)
a nice looking glare shield cover by Josť Javier Pancorbo Castro.

the plastic intersection cover is the long version and worked it better than the shorter version.

How does it fit over the support? Is it a two piece item?
Iíve been looking for something to cover the seam in my glare shield covering.

Steve Melton 10-12-2020 10:05 AM

one piece. it flexes over the bar.

Steve Melton 10-12-2020 11:36 AM

tow bar brackets

first tow bar brackets to ship - dark grey. they should look nice with the blue tow bar. 10 minute install if you use the dura lock option instead of the lower fastener. beefy parts.

Steve Melton 10-12-2020 07:18 PM

tow bar brackets

some may prefer to drill the holes at the top vs having small slots so there is an option for that. the flanges, hooks and webs are printed solidly.

ALagonia 10-12-2020 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1468998)
one piece. it flexes over the bar.

I see on your order form there are two sizes, long and short. What is the length of each please?

Steve Melton 10-12-2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALagonia (Post 1469136)
I see on your order form there are two sizes, long and short. What is the length of each please?

dimensions with photos are on the website.

what is becoming clear to me is the the Bill Duffy method for building sliding canopy's is becoming ever more popular. it may eventually become the standard procedure. another canopy guide block drill tool. he may have changed the entire sequence for the better.

here's a tip that I use for machining / drilling plastics. toss them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before hand. they machine much better. as a drill guide tool, I could see the benefit of cooling the plastic before drilling because the bit can become warm. also, this could work for small fiberglass parts but probably not the same extent as thermoplastics.

Steve Melton 10-14-2020 06:59 AM

tow bar brackets

I decided I preferred the grey brackets and changed the install to have the final version. I have an upcoming trip so I will have a chance to test it with baggage. I designed it to be snag resistant. Hopefully it works. the grey brackets look better with the blue tow bar.