VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

BruceEicher 08-05-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1178049)
idea #1

That hand, mirror, and roll bar looks familiar. :rolleyes:

Saville 08-05-2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceEicher (Post 1193418)
That hand, mirror, and roll bar looks familiar. :rolleyes:

Hope you don't mind us using it.

BruceEicher 08-05-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saville (Post 1193439)
Hope you don't mind us using it.

Not at all. I sold that image to Kitplanes, so it must have been snagged from their website, which is no issue with them either I believe. The image just caught my eye when I was flipping through the thread.

Nice work on the mirror production!

Cheers!

rv7charlie 08-05-2017 07:26 PM

Our local EAA chapter had its monthly meeting this morning. We usually meet at a county airport that's run by the local community college. Today, one of our members who also works at the college told us about the college's 'fab shop'. Multiple 3D printers, including models that print nylon, carbon fiber reinforced {?? forgot the material}, and one on the way that's big enough to print a V-6 engine block mockup, LASER engraver (instrument panels, etc), and other stuff. He told us that the shop is open to the public M-F, 1:00 PM-8:00 PM, and that there's almost always someone there willing to help with using the equipment. Material costs are silly cheap.

I mention this because it's in Mississippi, and I strongly doubt that we're the 1st in the nation to do this. :-) If you're interested in this stuff & don't want to buy your own printer, it might be worth a call to the colleges in your area to see if you can use their 'stuff'.

I don't think I have enough spare hours left in my life to learn CAD, but I'd love to see someone generate the code for intersection fairings. Based on cost figures I heard this morning, a set of four gear leg intersection fairings would likely cost less than $10 at the college fab shop. Anyone care to take on the challenge? A set for an RV-7 taildragger would be a nice place to start...

:-)

Charlie

OkieDave 08-05-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rv7charlie (Post 1193518)
Our local EAA chapter had its monthly meeting this morning. We usually meet at a county airport that's run by the local community college. Today, one of our members who also works at the college told us about the college's 'fab shop'. Multiple 3D printers, including models that print nylon, carbon fiber reinforced {?? forgot the material}, and one on the way that's big enough to print a V-6 engine block mockup, LASER engraver (instrument panels, etc), and other stuff. He told us that the shop is open to the public M-F, 1:00 PM-8:00 PM, and that there's almost always someone there willing to help with using the equipment. Material costs are silly cheap.

I mention this because it's in Mississippi, and I strongly doubt that we're the 1st in the nation to do this. :-) If you're interested in this stuff & don't want to buy your own printer, it might be worth a call to the colleges in your area to see if you can use their 'stuff'.

I don't think I have enough spare hours left in my life to learn CAD, but I'd love to see someone generate the code for intersection fairings. Based on cost figures I heard this morning, a set of four gear leg intersection fairings would likely cost less than $10 at the college fab shop. Anyone care to take on the challenge? A set for an RV-7 taildragger would be a nice place to start...

:-)

Charlie

The University of Oklahoma has a fab lab too, and it's FREE!

Steve Melton 08-15-2017 04:55 PM

a prototype

Steve Melton 09-03-2017 10:23 PM

alternate mirror

convex and it swivels by rotating the mirror housing to adjust the view angle. the mount is ABS plastic that is a solid fit. will not scratch paint.

Saville 09-04-2017 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1201364)
convex and is swivels by rotating the mirror housing to adjust the view angle. the mount is ABS plastic that is a solid fit. will not scratch paint.

A Convex mirror is really helpful for looking at the GIB. Also they are readily available at the auto parts store.

How is the mirror held onto the mount?

Steve Melton 09-04-2017 06:32 AM

mirror comes with an adhesive back. mirror cost = $4, Autozone.

or these, even cheaper and maybe better: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Steve Melton 09-24-2017 08:53 AM

RV14 canopy hinge cover

RV14 canopy hinge cover

thinking of a way to make these easily removable. the design space is tight! number 4 screw with plastic nut insert. small parts. this is a flush mount design. the design could also be raised to overlap the deck to prevent water ingress.

with raised plate to overlap the deck to prevent water ingress