VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

lr172 09-14-2020 10:04 AM

Steve,

Don't know what happened with the Gizmo patent issue, but fear you are drifting into the deep end of the pool again and headed for more confilct.

These ipad mounts are produced by Ram and they have a patent. In fact, they have 150 patents. The depth and breadth of patents would be a good indicator that they vigorously defend them. The following shows an ipad mount very similar to what you are showing here and it is listed as patented.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-AP15U

Suggest that you do some research before you begin to market this product.

Larry

Steve Melton 09-14-2020 10:16 AM

OK, I hadn't seen that before. Appreciate your concern. GPS Dock 1 is a design studio with open source .stl files so anyone can print these.

jliltd 09-14-2020 11:05 AM

I guess I don't get it. I see dozens of different iPad docks/mount on eBay. I even have one I bought years ago that is not Gizmo (it is Vidabox).

I buy similar items made by SlipGrip for my phones and panel mount them. No problem. My aera GPS from Garmin come with a dock that panel mounts the units. Is that a conflict with the Gizmo patent?

Here is one made by SlipGrip. I don't see RAM or Gizmo going after Slip Grip.

There is plenty of competition. I like Steve's products. Not just because he is a fellow VAFr but more importantly because he listens to us and provides instant result through the use of 3D printing. And his prices are right in line or less than others.

Jim

Steve Melton 09-16-2020 09:51 AM

iPad mini mount Gen 4-5

compact design, very secure, light weight and simple. angle can be 0 thru 15 deg. I set this model so that it can be updated for any tablet dimensions or smart phone in minutes. have the part in your hand within hours. stay tuned for more. attaches with fasteners or 3M dual lock velcro. the mounted tablet should have good free convection cooling on all sides, at least it's the best I could do. the number one complaint for iPad users is that it they over heat and shut down. I'll mount the 0 degree model and do a test flight with my neighbors iPad to confirm the temps. it's really just another reason to fly..... testing.

Steve Melton 09-17-2020 05:44 PM

Nexus 7

Nexus 7, 0 thru 15 degree.

Steve Melton 09-17-2020 05:50 PM

iPad mini Gen 4

looks good, very secure and light weight.

David Paule 09-17-2020 07:28 PM

Steve, I'll be using an iPad Mini on my RV-3B when I get that far. My plan is to have a flush mount that lets me use the iPad either in vertical or horizontal format, with the ability to rotate the iPad as I wish in flight.

Right now my baseline notion is to have a narrow shelf at the bottom, one on the left side, and use industrial Velcro to hold the iPad. But I have no concept for a shade for it and ideally that would be part of the plan.

I also don't have a method lined up for adjusting the tilt, should I want to change that.

This is just FYI, really, but it might suggest some things that perhaps you could design into a future iPad mount.

Dave

Scott Hersha 09-17-2020 08:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I’m sure Steve can come up with a swivel mount adapter for an iPad. If you need shade in your RV3, I’m sure your sun exposure problem is the same as my RV4. I made a small glareshied for mine that works quite well. Maybe you could do something similar....

Attachment 2592

Attachment 2593

Attachment 2594

Spin the pics around to get an idea (I don’t know how to prevent this). I used .032 aliminum and “massaged” the metal into shape. It provides a pretty good shade across my IP. Nice curve, looks good too! (For a green airplane - I didn’t paint it)

David Paule 09-17-2020 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very simple, thanks!. How far does it extend aft of the panel?

Mine is integral and extends aft 3" from the panel. The sunshade is the gray part. The canopy is soon to be added.

And yes, I know that I don't have a canopy frame. It'll be integral to the assembly.

Dave

Scott Hersha 09-17-2020 10:36 PM

I can measure it tomorrow, but I think it is something like 5” aft of the panel. It is attached to the welded canopy frame as shown in the pics. It looks like your canopy will extend further forward on your RV3 than it does on my RV4. The front edge of my canopy is right at the top edge of the IP, or very close to it. I’ll try to take some better pics tomorrow.