VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

David Paule 09-05-2020 02:52 PM

Vlad, not 3D printed but a good material for tiedown stakes is titanium bar. I've been using a set for something like 25 years and they're holding up fine. Mine are 1/2" but if I were doing it again I'd go to 3/8" or even 5/16" diameter.

Where the 3D printing would be effective would be in the connector between the stakes and the rope.

Incidentally, the high-tech marine ropes with a fancy core like Dyneema and a polyester cover make great tiedown ropes. You can really get the weight down with them because they have such high strength, so the diameter can drop. Don't neglect having the cover, though, since the bare core material might prove too slippery to hold a knot. Dyneema is such a material.

Dave

flysrv10 09-06-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1460150)
printing prototype 1, variable angle available, 4 screws or 3M dual lock velcro, hopefully, there is enough ventilation, contact is made in three local areas on the aft side of the tablet to maximize convection heat transfer area.

Any way to mount to a pedestal?

Snowflake 09-06-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1460150)
printing prototype 1, variable angle available, 4 screws or 3M dual lock velcro, hopefully, there is enough ventilation, contact is made in three local areas on the aft side of the tablet to maximize convection heat transfer area.

There's only one catch with tablet holders like this... You have to take your tablet out of its case to put it in the holder... If it could hold the tablet with the case folded around behind it, it would be more functional.

Steve Melton 09-07-2020 10:47 AM

iPad mini mount

prototype 2 printed well, lower attachment changed to be a small enclosed trap to be secure, side clearance is reduced for a tighter fit. I need to bolt it to verify proper operation in the installed condition. Overall, I like it.

3 degree angle

10 degree angle

Steve Melton 09-07-2020 05:07 PM

iPad mini mount fit check

I checked this with an actual iPad mini and it fit well. the photos are with the printed iPad mini. the chamfer on the release end is the key to good operation as is leaves a gap for release lever rotation. I like it.

Steve Melton 09-09-2020 04:33 PM

iPad mini mount

prototype 3 and I believe I'm on the home stretch for this one. criteria for the ventilation was raised based on some comments and the design altered so that maximum free convection cooling is achieved. these are relatively low cost solutions and may be of benefit to some but probably a small market.

angles 0 to 15 degrees.

the angles in the photos are: 0, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15

Steve Melton 09-12-2020 10:08 AM

horizontal orientation

working this for the horizontal, in-process

Steve Melton 09-13-2020 08:22 AM

iPad Mini Mount Gen 1-3 horizontal

a horizontal mount. 0 deg and 15 deg or anything in-between. I need to verify these with a test print but if they are similar to the vertical orientation they will be very nice. Screws or 3M dual lock velcro to attach.

Steve Melton 09-13-2020 05:42 PM

ipad mount Gen 1-3

these are for Gen 1-3. very nice. moving to Gen 4-5 next week.

Steve Melton 09-14-2020 09:42 AM

.25 inch (6.35 mm) baffle lead seal

added a .25 inch (6.35 mm) hole size for my neighbor. his leads were smaller than 7 mm. makes a very tight seal. material is nylon / carbon fiber.