VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

jjaromin 07-30-2020 11:05 AM

Anytime Texas and Patent are used in the same sentence it reminds me of X-Plane creator Austin Meyers trouble with them. He did a decent documentary on it and if you have a prime subscription you can view it. While I don't think Airgizmos are patent trolls, some locations appear to be very patent owner friendly.

The Patent Scam
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/deta..._dp_share_cu_r

Steve Melton 07-30-2020 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjaromin (Post 1450520)
Anytime Texas and Patent are used in the same sentence it reminds me of X-Plane creator Austin Meyers trouble with them. He did a decent documentary on it and if you have a prime subscription you can view it. While I don't think Airgizmos are patent trolls, some locations appear to be very patent owner friendly.

The Patent Scam
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/deta..._dp_share_cu_r

Wow! thx for posting this video. this is a BIG problem. I never knew. credit to Austin Meyer for going after this and producing this video! we need to get rid of Democratic Senator Harry Reid for being the main opposition for correcting this situation after Congress voted to fix it. this affects all of us by driving up the cost of goods. seems as if Texas is a haven for patent trolls. I think I'll send a letter to my Congressman. you know, if this kind of stuff continues, the next logical step for them is to start filing claims against individuals for doing anything (like swinging on a swing, see the video) and forcing them to go to Texas for a trial or pay them off. I think this is a worthy fight but it needs to take place in Congress as outlined by Austin. I'm going to send him an email with encouragement and ask how I can help. for people to remain Free they still need to fight.

leok 07-30-2020 02:11 PM

I have had a great deal of experience working with and around patents although not an attorney. So take it for what it's worth;

First, patents are filed for defensive as well as protection purposes. A defensive patent, even the very act of filing creates a legal trail of prior art. What that means is that if you can prove prior art, the holder of the patent cannot claim damages and/or block you from producing and selling the device.

Second, by legal definition only the claims matter to infringement. The first claim is always the most broad. If you do not violate the first claim, you do not violate any of the sub-claims by definition. They are there specifically to back up the first claim with a narrower scope if the first claim etc. is found to be invalid.

So my advice after reading the first claim is to design around the specific features called out. For example; The claim calls for two levels of recess. Make a design with one level using stand offs to control the depth the device. Mission accomplished. There must be a thousand ways to design around the "features" listed in the first claim. Then smile and point out to them how you do not have the specific patented features in your design.

This approach is MUCH easier than litigation, which in the best of circumstances is a loose loose **** shoot.

Good luck

Steve Melton 07-30-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leok (Post 1450544)
I have had a great deal of experience working with and around patents although not an attorney. So take it for what it's worth;

First, patents are filed for defensive as well as protection purposes. A defensive patent, even the very act of filing creates a legal trail of prior art. What that means is that if you can prove prior art, the holder of the patent cannot claim damages and/or block you from producing and selling the device.

Second, by legal definition only the claims matter to infringement. The first claim is always the most broad. If you do not violate the first claim, you do not violate any of the sub-claims by definition. They are there specifically to back up the first claim with a narrower scope if the first claim etc. is found to be invalid.

So my advice after reading the first claim is to design around the specific features called out. For example; The claim calls for two levels of recess. Make a design with one level using stand offs to control the depth the device. Mission accomplished. There must be a thousand ways to design around the "features" listed in the first claim. Then smile and point out to them how you do not have the specific patented features in your design.

This approach is MUCH easier than litigation, which in the best of circumstances is a loose loose **** shoot.

Good luck

yes, that is why I sent them photos of the RVPlasticPart Docks so they can tell my where they believe I infringed, then design around it. 3D printing makes they easy. no molds to deal with. if I cannot find an alternate approach to what they claim they I will delete the product. simple as that. what they initially sent me was just a copy of the patent and photos of almost every product that I made. that includes items like the GPS antenna bracket in the wingtip and universal custom phone holder.... it is their shotgun approach.

Austin Meyer also has a video on youtube if you don't have Amazon Prime: https://youtu.be/2AB633rlUkg

I am one guy working in a basement with a couple of 3D printers making custom parts and my inventory fits in a 3 small bins.

RV7A Flyer 07-30-2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1450536)
we need to get rid of Democratic Senator Harry Reid for being the main opposition for correcting this situation after Congress voted to fix it.

This is snark, right? :)

Pdtofly 07-30-2020 04:02 PM

Harry Reid

Harry retired from the senate a few years ago. As a Nevada resident, I could not wait for that day. To bad his replacement is not any better.

rv7charlie 07-30-2020 04:11 PM

Aaaand let's see how long it takes for a *dissenting* opinion to get deleted, because anything that's *not* right wing is political, while right wing isn't, of course...

Steve Melton 07-30-2020 04:28 PM

OK, I'm deleting my political posts

David Paule 07-30-2020 04:51 PM

Steve, it might be a good idea to get a general briefing from a patent attorney, just so that you'll have a better idea of what you can do to protect yourself and what you can fight off by yourself, if necessary.

Dave

Steve Melton 07-30-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Paule (Post 1450577)
Steve, it might be a good idea to get a general briefing from a patent attorney, just so that you'll have a better idea of what you can do to protect yourself and what you can fight off by yourself, if necessary.

Dave

Dave, I'm planning on doing that after I get a response the lawyers. Firstly, I need to understand the specific claims to understand if there is a viable alternate method. You know, a slot instead of a hole or recessed area change. I'm also OK with giving these up. I don't have much invested in them. Maybe a week or so of time for each and no tooling costs. So for funds outlay on my side there is nothing to lose. I would just be sitting around anyway and I don't have any inventory. But what if someone else designs some of these and releases them to the web for personal use around the world?