VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Bill Boyd 07-13-2020 10:24 AM

Steve, if anyone here could write off his RV as a business-related expense, it's you. :D

I sometimes try to think of something RV-related that needs inventing so I can do the same. Sigh...

Snowflake 07-13-2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1445268)
this is not my model and I am just beginning to look it over but early stages of the review appear promising. I am beginning to feel blown away by the detail. the heavy modeling work was done in Brazil

Is this the model that the guy wanted $300 for?

Steve Melton 07-14-2020 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake (Post 1445960)
Is this the model that the guy wanted $300 for?

yes, this is the same model. I wanted to have a general reference for the engine and airframe. also, it is nice to work thru how others build models as a learning for me.... continued training. the model checks I have made so far of the basic dimensions are good. even the tire is the correct outer diameter as the original Van's tire. my Michelin tire outer diameter is slightly larger by fraction. dealing with the owner of the model in Brazil was straight forward and pleasant. hopefully, there is more to come from him.

rv8ch 07-14-2020 06:19 AM

wheel chocks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1445780)

Those are very cool! Why are they expensive? Are they solid? Could they be made with some structure in there that provides support, but uses less material?

Steve Melton 07-14-2020 06:38 AM

no, they are not solid but they have a good structure . they weigh 3 oz each (.187 lb, 83 grams). the cost to print these would be well above existing wheel chock prices. they would cost $40 each. after I complete the testing I may add them for sale on the website. there may be some that are willing to go to the expense, or not. the nice thing about printing is that I don't need to carry an inventory of parts, only plastic.

swisseagle 07-14-2020 07:05 AM

Why not bowed like the tire?

Hy Steve

Why do you not make it "bowed" like the tire?

In the 2nd picture of post 1430, only the center is contacting the tire.
A bow that represent the "mid" use range of a tire, so that it fit new/used/heavily used tires.

Would there be any disadvantage because of this?

Steve Melton 07-14-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisseagle (Post 1446158)
Hy Steve

Why do you not make it "bowed" like the tire?

In the 2nd picture of post 1430, only the center is contacting the tire.
A bow that represent the "mid" use range of a tire, so that it fit new/used/heavily used tires.

Would there be any disadvantage because of this?

I thought about bowing it and actually made a model of it. it gets bigger and heavier. tire profiles are different. the original Van's tire is flatter. my Michelin's are rounder. I want to be able to carry these with me. I decided to keep it simple.

if you are making these at home, the real key is to bring the tire on to the chock at a low angle in order to set the chock, then quickly engage the tire. keeping the forward side near vertical allows the force to drive the edge directly into the pavement as the tire rides up. that should provide the best engagement.

engrave them with the tire size and aircraft number. so, if your buddy behind you borrows them you have a chance of getting them back.

Snowflake 07-14-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1446138)
yes, this is the same model. I wanted to have a general reference for the engine and airframe. also, it is nice to work thru how others build models as a learning for me.... continued training. the model checks I have made so far of the basic dimensions are good.

Makes sense, good to see someone has a business case for getting a copy. I wish I could justify it for "playing around." :)

The only error I could see right off the bat is that the wingtips are the new style, not the RV-6 style.

Steve Melton 07-16-2020 02:35 PM

wheel chock refinement

I'm in the final stages of refining and testing some wheel chocks. bigger or smaller? will they hold on a sealed concrete floor covered in engine oil? what about asphalt or rough concrete?... and some disappointments. more to come.

Steve Melton 07-17-2020 08:10 AM

wheel chock testing

summary of wheel chock testing. caution: if you conduct this type of testing, beware that cables under tension can be dangerous. no injury or damage to the aircraft occurred during this testing.