VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Saville 06-25-2017 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humptybump (Post 1183018)
Is the back side of the acrylic mirror stock a flat gray or charcoal color? If so it could be laser cut pretty easily.

In Steve's mockup and rendering, the mirror is concave. How easy is it to warm/heat and form the curve? Does the mirror hold up to the distortion?

The backside of the mirror is a flat gray. Not sure if you wouls call it charcoal but it's pretty dark

Saville 06-25-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humptybump (Post 1183018)
Is the back side of the acrylic mirror stock a flat gray or charcoal color? If so, it should be no problem to laser cut.

In Steve's mockup and rendering, the mirror is concave. How easy is it to warm/heat and form the curve? Does the mirror hold up to the distortion?

I don't think the mirror is concave. It's flat - the long edges are chords of a circle.

Saville 06-25-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Paule (Post 1183019)
Just a thought, it could be as simple as a tube connection like your design presently shows, with a bond pad. The bond pad would glue to the mirror.

The advantage would be that it would eliminate the unsightly mounting tangs that are visible.

Dave

See posts above - I found that the shiny backing was not well bonded to the mirror so the bod failed at the shiny material/acrylic interface. Hence the tabs.

humptybump 06-25-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saville (Post 1183024)
I don't think the mirror is concave. It's flat - the long edges are chords of a circle.

OK. I must be seeing an optical illusion in Steve's photo and rendering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1178049)

Steve Melton 08-02-2017 09:26 PM

a nice tight fit to the mirror. maybe slightly too tight. the round fit should be good since it is contoured to the curved roll bar. there is a strong spring back characteristic in the plastic. so far, I like it. material cost = 18 cents. ABS plastic, the same stuff Lego's are made of. will not scratch paint.

Skid 08-03-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1192623)
a nice tight fit to the mirror. maybe slightly too tight. the round fit should be good since it is contoured to the curved roll bar. there is a strong spring back characteristic in the plastic. so far, I like it. material cost = 18 cents. ABS plastic, the same stuff Lego's are made of. will not scratch paint.

Steve, have you done any calculations regarding the creep of the material? I am curious to see what it would show based on the load and temp in the cabin.

Steve Melton 08-03-2017 08:49 PM

ABS should be fine for low strength applications up to 80C (176F).

Skid 08-03-2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1192919)
ABS should be fine for low strength applications up to 80C (176F).

I understand the material can withstand the temp in the cabin. My question is if you had done any creep calculations at temp. I ask because I am curious how well the 3D printed parts would fair Vs an injection molded part. In my professional life I dealt with this type of creep issue on similar designed clips and other molded parts.

Steve Melton 08-03-2017 10:07 PM

no creep calculations performed. some simple DIY creep testing was completed on other parts at room temperature.

donaziza 08-03-2017 11:15 PM

Hey Steve, Would you be willing to sell me two of these??

(Mirror holders)