VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 11-24-2019 09:43 AM

It's time to Tango

Lightspeed Tango Control Module Mount. Control module is going back to the owner today. I'm sure he will like the fit.

Steve Melton 11-26-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1386568)
very early stages of a Lycoming crankshaft.

some headway for the base structure

slogging along....

crank_no pistons_no prop_no sludge tubes

1st freq = 1100 Hz (good and stiff)

F1 Rocket 11-26-2019 06:50 PM

Hi Steve,

Would you happen to have a design for a Dynon D3 Mount? I?m looking for a clean way to mount it off the front seat back tube in my Rocket.

Danny

Steve Melton 11-26-2019 07:00 PM

Dynon D3, D2

let's think about that. I have a D2 mounted that needs more angle. It is currently installed with 3M dual lock velco and has been very secure. If it is angled upwards it would need slide in from the side, correct?

EDIT: I remember now and see it in my photo that the Dynon has a clip in feature so it just needs angle support. the angle support could be attached by screws or maybe even dual lock. screws would be more secure.

and you see that piece of paper with green tape on the pilot side. those are my V-speeds. wouldn't it be nice to have better looking place for those. when my wife sees tape on the airplane she says "so, that's what's holding it together?"

Steve Melton 11-27-2019 04:56 PM

D3 angle mount

how about something along this line. the hole placement is not final as I have no accurate dimensions. set to #8 screws.

selected the angle you want. it may even work with dual lock velcro if you didn't wish to drill holes.

we could possibly reverse the outermost screw direction to have the screw head be to the backside of the seat and nest the nuts in the mount. give me some input.

F1 Rocket 11-27-2019 07:23 PM

I’d like to clamp the mount to the tube that the front seat back leans against. The angle would be more or less infinitely adjustable.

Steve Melton 11-27-2019 08:53 PM

OK, I'll take a look at it the next chance I get to view an RV8 to see if there is anything I could do. I'll go ahead and finish this angle version since I need it.

Steve Melton 11-27-2019 09:45 PM

3 x 5 inch card holder

concept for a card holder. weight = 40 grams. I think I can get it down to 30 with added lightening holes and some other changes.

down to 33 grams

I didn't really like this part at first but it is beginning to grow on me. I'll take a look at it in the cockpit.

Snowflake 11-28-2019 08:47 AM

Steve, maybe take a look at what McMaster has for threaded inserts for plastic. I use the "press-fit inserts for plastic" as they have larger teeth on them, but I still set them in place using a soldering iron. The flanged ones inserted from the back are incredibly strong and won't pull through. Saves having to put a nut in the backside (or rather, saves having a nut fall out and down into the belly of the plane).

Steve Melton 11-28-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake (Post 1389487)
Steve, maybe take a look at what McMaster has for threaded inserts for plastic. I use the "press-fit inserts for plastic" as they have larger teeth on them, but I still set them in place using a soldering iron. The flanged ones inserted from the back are incredibly strong and won't pull through. Saves having to put a nut in the backside (or rather, saves having a nut fall out and down into the belly of the plane).

I'll do that. I have those inserts by the hundreds. Sometimes I need some help. thx