VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 10-26-2019 07:19 PM

Prop pitch angle tool

Prop pitch angle tool

Vlad 11-02-2019 05:55 PM

Fairlead pair installed on a project in Arizona.

Another set is flying in New Jersey 15 hours +

A lot of those needed :D

Steve Melton 11-11-2019 09:55 AM

Vlad, I noticed you use a bigger head screw. That's the right approach for these. I followed your lead.

Steve Melton 11-11-2019 09:57 AM

LightSpeed Zulu3

LightSpeed Zulu3 headset controller mount in progress.

one of the best complex corners I have made.

Steve Melton 11-12-2019 03:27 AM

LightSpeed Zulu3

This headset goes back to the owner tomorrow. A record two day turnaround. It is a very good fit. Approved for aerobatics but easy to remove. I like it and I know the owner will too.

Note for printed parts: when you see some stitching marks on a flat surface at the perimeter edges you know the previous layer is overlapped at the edge with the current layer by some amount. this stitches the edges together to form a superior bond. the stitching marks typically fade away from the edges. I always look for this on on the flat surfaces of printed parts.

Steve Melton 11-13-2019 06:23 PM

Fuel Sump Tester Mount

Kicking around a concept for simple fuel sump tester mount. I think I would test more frequently if the tester was easier to access.

A beginning concept.

taking a look at bending stress in the retainer. plan to mathematically determine the optimum beam taper for uniform bending stress as a fun endeavor. MATLAB will be used to help with this.

this is looking good from a stress perspective. the key is to allow the bottom plate to flex and do some bending. spread the load with a big asymmetrical fillet that essentially creates an elliptical shape. I also blended the lateral restraint pocket to act as a guide.

I like it. I'll install it for testing. Weight is only 30 grams. ASA plastic, UV resistant. secure but easy to remove. anti-rotation feature. attach with velcro. it should have a long life. plate is recessed to fit cap end but will accept testers with no cap end. mount it vertically and it would serve to be a good location for gasohol testers that require a 10 minute wait time.

installed. I like it. the only thing better could be a funnel fit at the tip for returning the tester to the mount. since it is a blind return for me a funnel fit at the tip would be beneficial. I'll see what I can do. installed with duel lock velcro. this sump tester is literally at my fingertips. no more excuses for sumping the tanks. Master Sargent Ray Parker is in to have a look. I stand as straightly as I can. Ray sumps his tanks at every fill.

new lower pocket for ease of finding in the dark. just get it close and it will find the home. some complicated geometry in there, amazing.

a nice part

Steve Melton 11-15-2019 08:56 PM

Lycoming crankshaft

very early stages of a Lycoming crankshaft.

some headway for the base structure

Snowflake 11-16-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1386568)
very early stages of a Lycoming crankshaft.

You'll print that using ABS, or Nylon? Got a TBO estimate yet? :cool:

Steve Melton 11-16-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake (Post 1386639)
You'll print that using ABS, or Nylon? Got a TBO estimate yet? :cool:

TBO = 0 cycles :)

to be used as an analysis model to understand the torsional response with prop mass inertia. it is slow process to make this model but making some headway.

on a side note: I shipped the first RVPlasticParts without leaving the home. USPS Printed labels and tracking, boom done! Life can begin to return to normal for me.

Steve Melton 11-16-2019 04:36 PM

LightSpeed Tango

LightSpeed Tango control module. Needs to fit with cover on. I'll give it a try.