VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

aparchment 08-12-2019 10:57 AM

Printing Info For CF

Steve,

I blame you for getting me hooked on 3D printing!

Can you share any specifics on getting the carbon reinforced plastic to print well? Temps, feed rates, nozzle material and aperture, etc. I can't recall if you are using a Bowden style machine or not. Anything you can share would be much appreciated.

Antony

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1362578)
RVPlastic is preparing for Nylon/Carbon fiber. Perhaps to build the ultimate fuel cap opener. Hopefully, it will not scratch thru pocket material.

Steve Melton 08-12-2019 11:05 AM

Anthony, We are fairly new to Nylon/Carbon fiber. Testing so far for me has been surprisingly good. Hardened steel nozzle .60 mm dia., nozzle temp = 260C, bed temp 110C first layer then 95C. print speed is low = 25 mm/s. no cooling fans. ooze is high, minimize retraction. lift the nozzle between layers as needed. I'm glad you are enjoying it. It's going to get even better with new materials. No Bowden, Lutzbot TAZ6 standard single extruder. Nylon is hygroscopic so keep it in a dry location during storage. Steve

Steve Melton 08-12-2019 05:25 PM

Infinity stick cover with relief

now I need an eductor fairing or maybe a hole for a tube is good enough. <smile> it has combined uses and my wife says it's gross.

how would you make a single piece part like this? OK, maybe you wouldn't.

Steve Melton 08-12-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake (Post 1365987)
Steve, does the mirror sit far enough forward that it feels natural to use? Or do you have to think about sitting back to get your head far enough back to use it? In the side view it looks like it's quite a ways back from the panel.

it seemed OK. I couldn't see much to my left but more than I needed to the right. so I'll make some angled options to test but for the first flight test, I liked it.

Steve Melton 08-12-2019 09:59 PM

Kroger mirror - selectable angles

making selectable angles - option for 3 degree increments or so. pretty cool. plan to add a printed thumb feature to the screw for ease of adjustment or removal. these will be inexpensive. ASA UV resistant plastic white has the color of white nylon.

aparchment 08-14-2019 04:37 PM

Gracias

Thanks Steve!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1366016)
Anthony, We are fairly new to Nylon/Carbon fiber. Testing so far for me has been surprisingly good. Hardened steel nozzle .60 mm dia., nozzle temp = 260C, bed temp 110C first layer then 95C. print speed is low = 25 mm/s. no cooling fans. ooze is high, minimize retraction. lift the nozzle between layers as needed. I'm glad you are enjoying it. It's going to get even better with new materials. No Bowden, Lutzbot TAZ6 standard single extruder. Nylon is hygroscopic so keep it in a dry location during storage. Steve

Steve Melton 08-15-2019 06:28 PM

Kroger mirror - selectable angles

the first two numbers are pitch. the second two numbers are yaw, positive right and negative left. 3 degree increments such as:

18 degree pitch and 00 degree yaw = 1800

18 degree pitch and 09 degree yaw right = 1809

15 degree pitch and -06 degree yaw left = 15-06

21 degree pitch and -15 degree yaw left = 21-15

Steve Melton 08-17-2019 02:30 PM

Kroger mirror

Ready for flight testing a couple angle versions of these. ASA material, UV resistant.

bracket weight = 7 grams
adjustable mirror weight = 20 grams

total 27 grams

selectable version 1500, pitch = 15 deg, yaw =0 deg

selectable version 21-15, pitch = 21 deg, yaw =-15 deg (left)

selectable version 21-15, pitch = 21 deg, yaw =15 deg (right)

Steve Melton 08-17-2019 02:50 PM

Carbon fiber - fuel cap openers

some carbon fiber fuel cap openers on the bed. lock your fuel caps as tightly as you wish.

Steve Melton 08-18-2019 03:51 PM

Kroger mirror

a couple different angle installed. the angle depends on what you want to see. the mirror is adjustable to +/- 10 degree. the brackets were: 1500, 2115, 21-15. very smoother action on the brackets, easily removable and easy to slide.

Also, if you're into tennis like I am....

Cincinnati Master ATP Tennis tournament - finals: Medvedev vs Goffin. Kings Island on the left side of the highway, sight of the new giga coaster to come.. 300ft high.