VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   a couple printed ideas (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147771)

Steve Melton 08-08-2019 03:35 PM

Gust lock travel pouch - prototype 1

Amanda's first concept for a travel pouch. She can take some height out of it and optimize the spacing but it meets the design requirements. She will work with Abby at Flightline to fine tune. I'm thinking leather.

Bicyclops 08-08-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1362376)
wind damage to a poor soul.

Looks like those rudder stops need to be a bit bigger. I know that when I'm slipping, I go for all the rudder and modulate ailerons. I see scratches where the elevator scraped up and down before the puncture event.

Ed Holyoke

Steve Melton 08-09-2019 10:47 PM

gust lock travel pouch - prototype 2

Amanda sent her gust lock travel pouch design to Abby for fine tuning. It will be fun to watch their design process.

Steve Melton 08-10-2019 09:30 AM

Nylon/Carbon Fiber Fuel Cap Opener Challenge

the fat fuel cap opener nylon/carbon fiber challenge. take two pair of pliers, grab it and try to break it. you can't do it.

Steve Melton 08-10-2019 10:38 AM

First Flight - Six years ago - today

My wife reposted these today on Facebook so I get to see them again. I was thinner and worn out from building. Building an airplane is hard work. It's been worth it. Good times!

Respect your fellow builders and lend a hand where you can. It will all come back to you.

note: I still miss Jon Thocker who gave advice and took the time to fly chase for me. RIP

Steve Melton 08-11-2019 07:28 AM

Idea for mirror mount to Kroger rail

Dave Schuler had an idea for a mirror mount from the Kroger rail. Needs to be light weight. We will give it a try.

This is prototype 1.

Mounts to the canopy sunshade rail.

Steve Melton 08-11-2019 04:41 PM

Mirror mount to Kroger rail

Check your six. Very light weight but stable. I like it. Hand is for camera focus.

needs a nice thumb screw and pulled forward for access to move the mirror with ease.

I think we will make our own to be something like this. It's going to be nice.

the prototype is ABS material but the final product parts will all be ASA material to be UV resistant.

Steve Melton 08-11-2019 04:44 PM

Mirror mount to Kroger rail - flying

Steve Melton 08-11-2019 04:55 PM

Infinity stick cover - upgrade

this stick cover served my well for 3 yrs but doing a transponder upgrade I cracked it by leaning hard into it laying under the panel. I increased the thickness by .010 and added some new print technique. It's stronger and better than ever and also water tight. No worries from a broken trim tab switch when climbing in and out.

old unit.... served me well but time for an upgrade.

new unit... water tight

filled with water. bone dry.

again, filled with water for hours. bone dry.

Snowflake 08-12-2019 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Melton (Post 1365834)

Steve, does the mirror sit far enough forward that it feels natural to use? Or do you have to think about sitting back to get your head far enough back to use it? In the side view it looks like it's quite a ways back from the panel.