VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   My RV Build Project (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   TK's RV-8 (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=86302)

tkatc 05-14-2012 07:42 PM

TK's RV-8

I finally feel like a builder although I know I have just begun.

Workshop is just about done but I know it will forever be changing.

EAA workbenches on wheels!

Harbor Freight special!! Fabrication table.

Database!

And of course, stress relief!

tkatc 05-14-2012 08:10 PM

I got my tail kit a couple of weeks ago and the Russian helped my do inventory. He instructed me to debur everything before assembling anything.

So, here are all the parts (except for skins) deburred.

My first rivet!! The Russian came down to help with the first rivets. He says he wont build again but he was like a kid in a candy store. He couldn't wait to fire up the gun. So...he bangs home the first one!! Complete with a SMILEY :), there goes my Lindy award!!

The rear HS spar is clecoed and ready.

SportAvServ 05-14-2012 08:29 PM

Nice shop

Your way too organized, I'm sorry you will have to sit with the engineers at lunch. Did you get the fridge from a Norhwest Pilot? ;-)

Jerry Cochran 05-14-2012 10:22 PM

Where are all the parts, tools, and random c**p strewn all over the floor? I hope you don't think it's going to be pristine like that for more than a day???

Please don't be a neatnik and embarrass your fellows...

Did the Russian tell you to do do this?

humptybump 05-15-2012 04:45 AM

Congrats on getting your build underway!

... not sure how much longer the Jeep will warrant garrage space :-)

tkatc 05-15-2012 06:17 AM

Trying to keep it as neat and organized as possible. I didn't realize how DIRTY deburring was going to be. Black greasy soot. Shavings of aluminum and wood everywhere. I wonder how long before one of the cars gets its first flat tire from aluminum shavings...

I also didn't realize how expensive builder assistance was going to be. Vlad helped me set 6 rivets and it cost me 2 quarts of Aeroshell, 1 Champion filter, an entire bag of BBQ chips and 1 beer. That comes out to approx $8 per rivet!! :eek::eek:

Even Jay Pratt doesn't charge THAT much! :D

Vlad 05-15-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Cochran (Post 659246)
Where are all the parts, tools, and random c**p strewn all over the floor? I hope you don't think it's going to be pristine like that for more than a day???

Please don't be a neatnik and embarrass your fellows...

Did the Russian tell you to do do this?

Jerry,
His neatness on the pictures is just for the show and desire to make it to VAF front page. He has all those fancy deburring tools and when he runs them thick dust clouds everything Jeep included. His shop is equipped with machinery enough to built a 737. Except somebody didn't send him promised dimple dies and he borrowed mine not aware of coming rental bill :D

Other then that, great job cousin! Smiley was made on purpose. BTW do you know you souppose to prime bare aluminum? :eek:

Vlad 05-15-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkatc (Post 659287)

I also didn't realize how expensive builder assistance was going to be. Vlad helped me set 6 rivets and it cost me 2 quarts of Aeroshell, 1 Champion filter, an entire bag of BBQ chips and 1 beer. That comes out to approx $8 per rivet!! :eek::eek:

Even Jay Pratt doesn't charge THAT much! :D

Now you multiply 14,000 rivets by 8 bucks and get a conservative estimate of your future Lindy winner :D

aerhed 05-15-2012 09:02 AM

Typical oligarch. I think that russian needs to come west with the RV-1. Not sure I can afford his visit, but I could maybe buy him a beer in a 100yr old ghost town saloon

humptybump 05-15-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkatc (Post 659287)
Vlad helped me set 6 rivets and it cost me 2 quarts of Aeroshell, 1 Champion filter, an entire bag of BBQ chips and 1 beer. That comes out to approx $8 per rivet!!

I can save you some money - I don't eat BBQ chips.:D