VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   My RV Build Project (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   RV-7A N74WL Joe Gepner (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=103646)

JoeGepner 08-27-2013 10:27 PM

RV-7A N74WL Joe Gepner

Hi Guys,

I'm just getting started on my RV-7A build (I haven't even unpacked the tail kit yet). Tonight I finished building a couple of the EAA benches and I had a quick question for the experts here.

I have been planning to build the tail and wing kits in an old storage room in my basement. It's nice and climate controlled, and also as far as I can get from my kids room so I can hopefully run the air compressor at night.

The room is roughly 18ft by 14ft. Do you guys think that is big enough to get through the tail and wings? Once it's time to start on the fuselage, I thought I would pack up shop and move to the garage. Am I going to be kicking myself for not starting in the garage?

RV7AJeremy 08-27-2013 10:33 PM

I'm no expert but I say build where is it climate controlled. The emp kit is easy to move around, the wings on the other hand are a little more difficult to maneuver. Do you have easy access to the basement (door directly outside etc)?

I bought a portable air conditioner for my garage; I don't think I would work on the project nearly as much if it wasn't climate controlled. Have fun!

DaleB 08-27-2013 10:37 PM

Joe, you might think about putting the compressor in the garage and running some air pipe down to your work room. I picked up a kit from Northern Tool that uses 1/2" nylon pipe with push-in fittings, makes plumbing pretty easy.

Building the empennage down there won't be a problem, space-wise. Before you start the wings, though, just be sure you can get a 4' x 10' x 8" object ALL THE WAY outside without bumping into anything. It would really suck to have a rude surprise when it came time to move the wings.

mburch 08-28-2013 06:43 AM

This guy

Joe and I have to share an office. Ever since he bought the tail kit it's been nothing but RV talk all the time! Can you imagine a worse work environment?

mcb :)

JoeGepner 08-28-2013 07:52 AM

Thanks guys! This is exactly what I was hoping you would say.

I have a straight shot up the stairs from my basement, and the door to my basement lines up with the door to my garage. So I think I should be fine. When I finished my basement I was able to get 12 foot long sheets of sheetrock down there without too much trouble.

My basement is one of those "daylight" basements. So I do have two windows that are about 3ft by 5ft. They are kind of old and I've always thought about replacing them some day. Maybe the "wings come out of the basement day" will also be "new basement window day". :)

tkatc 08-28-2013 08:04 AM

That basement looks plenty big and climate controlled is ideal. I do think you may want some more lighting though. Nice benches....perhaps when you drill enough holes into them you will replace the top with an overhanging lip. Very convenient for clamping!

nilberg 08-28-2013 08:14 AM

I second the advice for overhang on the workbench.

Oh, an I am just 1 hour ahead of you as I have inventoried the tail kit. I have not received my tools yet, so you might catch up..... :).

crabandy 08-28-2013 09:49 AM

I built almost the entire airframe in the same size basement of my Bi-level, it was way better than the garage. I built the wing/fuse in the basement, wings were also fully riveted but I dissassembled the fuse for deburring and reassembled and riveted the fuse in the garage.
I left the air compressor and other loud/messy tools in the garage, I made a small hole in the wall to pass the air hose and an extra extension cord into the basement. It worked great keeping the mess and noise in the garage, plus it opens up the outlets in the basement. I did have to plan air tool usage around the wife's TV shows however...

JoeGepner 08-28-2013 09:58 AM

Better lighting is a must have for me. I'll swing by Lowes and pick up some more overhead fluorescent lights so its not so dark. I also like the idea of running some air hose from the garage to the workshop.

I got cheap and didn't want to buy an extra sheet of MDF/Plywood to get an overhang on the two EAA benches. I'm going to build one final workbench out of a solid core door that will have a nice overhang on it though.

I hear you on the wives TV shows! Better to take a break than get in trouble and make too much noise. :D

Rupester 08-28-2013 11:35 AM

work surface(s)

I recommend your next work surface be constructed as a work table, not backing up against the wall. I don't think I could have completed my build if all the bench space was against the wall. My big-*ss worktable saw probably 75 to 80% of my activity, regardless if riveting, f'glassing, or assembling. Access to all sides of a workpiece is critical at times. ... IMHO.