What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Being stupid with fuel

N546RV

Well Known Member
This is a somewhat old story, one that, for the longest time, I kept between myself and the other two occupants of the plane. Mostly that was out of shame, looking back at the series of stupid decisions that stacked up on me. As of late, I've been more open about the story, and I might as well go ahead and share it here.

To set the stage, I'd had my private for about 14 months at the time. Two friends and I decided to take a week-long trip to the Florida Keys, and mindful of the 14-hour drive, I proposed we fly down, a proposal that was welcomed. The flight down was totally uneventful; one fuel stop about halfway down, a bit of a diversion due to clouds in the peninsula, nothing to it.

Our original plan was to fly back home the following Saturday, but as the day approached, the weather forecast wasn't shaping up well. In the face of potential storms across most of the Southeast, I elected to postpone the homeward flight to Sunday. Sunday morning dawned bright and lovely; the forecast now called for only isolated/scattered storms in southern Florida. Figuring I could circumvent these, and keep nearby airports in mind in case I had to put down, I decided to go.

The forecast turned out to be somewhat erroneous; about 45 minutes into the flight, there was a solid-looking wall of ominous dark clouds ahead. I turned west, thinking that perhaps I could do an end run, but there was no way out. So I decided to backtrack to the nearest airport in Homestead.

(Side note: the folks at Homestead were GREAT. When I landed, I was a sweaty, nervous semi-wreck. Weather diversions/delays like this were new to me, and I was worried about getting home. As soon as I walked in the door, the lady practically threw a bottle of water at me. Later, they cooked us hot dogs while we waited out the storm.)

Two and a half hours later, the storms had rolled through and everything looked peachy the rest of the way home. At this point, I was feeling significant (self-imposed) pressure to get us home. It didn't help that I wasn't night current.

In retrospect, I was setting up for a classic case of get-there-itis.

The next factor came in the form of fuel. I figured I might as well get gas while I was on the ground, but the line guy filled the tanks to the top instead of just to the tabs as I requested. That put us slightly overweight, but also opened the possibility of maybe making it home without another fuel stop. The pressure tinged my judgment, and I took off with full fuel.

Now came another problem; even though the storms were gone, significant cloud cover remained. At first, I stayed under the clouds...a safer option, but it was hot and bumpy down there. For a while, I climbed above the clouds into smoother air, but eventually I started getting nervous about getting stuck on top with no way down, so somewhere around the GA border I went back down under.

Then, another dumb mistake: Since I still was holding on to the possibility of making it to PDK on the fuel on board, I started eyeballing the fuel gauges. Rationally, I knew that counting on those probably wasn't smart, but in the moment, I convinced myself I could find a way to do it. Eventually, I formed a plan to make my go/no-go decision on a fuel stop: I'd leave one tank about a quarter full (by the gauge), then fly on the other until it ran dry. If I was "close" to home, I'd proceed, otherwise, I'd have to stop. In the meantime, I'd keep a close track on nearby airports with gas available.

(A particular bit of self-criticism: "Close" does not cut it for a decision point. Looking back, I was basically giving myself an excuse to press on if I wanted to, rather than having to make a hard and fast decision.)

Somewhere in the vicinity of Milledgeville, GA, it happened. I thought I detected a bit of roughness in the engine, but thinking only of milking every last drop out of that left tank, I didn't switch. Maybe a minute or so later, I abruptly lost power. OK, time to switch! This was when things went horribly awry, and I got an object lesson in how a mostly tolerable situation can become extremely intolerable by the addition of one small, additional factor.

For those who haven't flown Archers, the fuel selector is down by your left shin, so you have to lean forward to reach down and switch. Well, when I went for the selector to switch to the good tank, my shoulder harness decided it would be a great time to lock. I backed off and tried leaning again. Still locked. In that moment, every shred of rationality departed my brain. It would have been simple to reach to my waist and unhook the shoulder harness, but all I did was keep trying to lean forward, continually banging against the harness.

Out the front of the plane, we'd of course pitched down with the power loss. There was mostly a faceful of ground, which didn't help my calmness at all. I was still banging against the harness repeatedly when I saw my friend's arm snake across in front of me and turn the selector. He'd been paying attention to me switching tanks, for reasons he can't quite explain.

Whatever his reasons, they quite likely saved us from an emergency landing. We were at maybe 1500' AGL when the power loss happened. It's possible that, after a bit, I would have stopped panicking, unhooked the harness, and switched the tank, but that's nothing but conjecture. If I hadn't calmed down, it probably wouldn't have boded well for my ability to land the plan off-airport.

I turned towards the airport at Milledgeville. There, on the ramp, I got one final, sobering shock. The left tank was of course pretty much dry, but the right tank, in which I'd supposedly been saving a good fuel reserve, there were maybe 2-3 gallons.

The rest of the flight was uneventful; we made it back to PDK just after sunset. It was great to be home. It was also great to have landed on pavement instead of grass.

I suspect that most of these stories are similar. We all get taught about the dangers of making decision under stress, the dangers of get-there-itis and so forth. Yet some of still fall victim to that very phenomenon. It's, of course, easy to sit at home and proudly say "I'd never make a decision like that!" I'm sure I did that during my training, but a year later, there I was, within 20 minutes of gliding a rented plane into a grass field somewhere.

Under that pressure, I convinced myself that I was still using (mostly) sound judgment. I knew I was taking additional risks, but in the moment each decision seemed like only a small amount of increased risk. Taken as a whole, they came really, really close to biting me.

In fact, it took a non-pilot passenger to save my bacon when the chips were down. That in itself is a humbling admission.

Wow...takes guts to talk about something like that, even though I know it's happened to lots of pilots and we've all heard the stories (many of which had less desirable outcomes than this one), it always sobering to read something like this. Thanks for sharing the experience and glad the story ended with a lesson learned instead of something tragic.

Thanks for having the courage to give us a recap of your decision process. Reading about real world experiences are a great way for us to keep our eyes open and be honest about the decision processes we all make in the cockpit.

One day I was turning cross wing and started getting a low oil pressure alarm. I was in the pattern at altitude. The runway was just off to my left in easy glide distance. The engine was running fine, so I continued to fly a normal pattern, but was very very distracted by the oil pressure alarm. It was an ugly pattern, and a bit of a fast and hard landing. One alarm was going off and my focus changed. Turns out is was a bad sensor on a rental plane. The flying club manager knew of the problem but forgot to mention it to me before take off (Not sure I would have gone flying if he had told me). Things change fast. Be prepared. Practice. I choose to read the stories of those who have lived to tell them, and be honest with myself about learning from those experiences. Thanks.

Thanks for having the courage to share your story! Reading things like this reminds me of my "personal fuel minimums"... You can NEVER have too much fuel!

That is the precise reason I installed these low fuel sensors in my tanks. I get alerted when each tank gets down to about five gallons. Not necessarily idiot proof, but one more thing to help me from becoming one.

bob

Thanks for sharing. I've worked to keep my get-home-itis under control more than a few times over the years. It's good to have a reminder to have a solid plan and stick to your limits. The trick for me has been staying flexible, which is necessary, and not using that as an excuse to ignore a limit. I'm glad you could learn from your experience...and so can we.

A lot of these stories have, I've concluded, one overall solution: you have to be something of a jerk to be PIC with passengers. You have to be able to say, "we're not getting home tonight. You're going to be late for work tomorrow." You gotta be able to make the safe decision regardless what it does to your or your passengers' schedules.

But it helps a lot to make this decision weeks in advance of the trip. Explain to your pax the delays that can happen. Explain that you might have to help them find a bus to get home. Tell them not to plan their schedule so the Big Meeting they have to get to is the next day after the planned arrival.

All of this can be done with a smile and calm attitude so you don't have to be a real-time jerk. But everybody should understand you won't fly in unsafe conditions beyond your or the plane's capabilities.

Thanks for sharing, I suspect this will be a reminder for many of us and help in our decision making progress. And if only one learns it in such way to avoid this type of decision making, then it is ALL worth it to share.

Cheers
Mehrdad

I learned my fuel lesson early on, during the last part of my student training. I was returning from a night cross-country and had to deviate for weather and go low for about an hour. My instructor had always told me to run full rich below 4000' so of course I was pouring the fuel through it but my brain was still thinking 8 gph. I landed OK and then pumped 32 gallons into an airplane with 34 gallons total capacity, and got pretty wigged out about that. Ever since then I've had a hard floor of 1 hour reserve on landing or divert for fuel, and I haven't busted that one yet.

A lot of these stories have, I've concluded, one overall solution: you have to be something of a jerk to be PIC with passengers. You have to be able to say, "we're not getting home tonight. You're going to be late for work tomorrow." You gotta be able to make the safe decision regardless what it does to your or your passengers' schedules.

But it helps a lot to make this decision weeks in advance of the trip. Explain to your pax the delays that can happen. Explain that you might have to help them find a bus to get home. Tell them not to plan their schedule so the Big Meeting they have to get to is the next day after the planned arrival.

All of this can be done with a smile and calm attitude so you don't have to be a real-time jerk. But everybody should understand you won't fly in unsafe conditions beyond your or the plane's capabilities.

In this case, I was clear about all these things with my friends from the moment we started talking about flying. And to their credit, neither of them tried to influence my decisions at all.

All the pressure that broke my decision-making came from within myself. In retrospect, this isn't that surprising, as I tend to be my own worst critic; in this case, whatever the reason, I decided early on (not necessarily consciously) that getting home on Sunday was a very important goal. To a certain extent, the die was already cast the moment I made that decision.

Great great story!!!! I felt as though I was inside your mind as I read it. I too had an extremely similar experience (explained in this very section). If someone reads this story an takes it to heart, it is very likely they will be able to sit high on their "could never happen to me" throne. But if you just dismiss this lesson, or are not fortunate enough to read this, it can happen to you.

Thanks for Manning up and trying to help your fellow aviators. I wish everyone would confess their aviation sins here so we can all learn from them.

Well done!

I believe every pilot has had at least one experience with get-home-itis. My best gauge is my co-pilot wife who always makes us spend the night at an off airport if A: the weather looks dicey ahead or B: we are down to one hour reserve and nightfall may come up before we would make it home. she says it's 'all part of the adventure" and only makes for good flying stories later on. Why is she always right? On my first visit to her in NJ shortly after we met, I was anxious to get home on Sunday so as to go to work on Monday of the following week. I had flown commercial from FL to NJ. She told me that it seldom snowed very much and it would be no problem. Well, Sunday morning we awoke to snow literally 3 feet deep in her front yard. I called the airport and was told no flights would be leaving Newark until at least THURSDAY of that week. School was canceled until Wednesday of that week (my wife to be was a Principal), I called my work and was told to enjoy the week off and not to come in till the following Monday. Guess what, the get-home-itis turned out to be one of the best weeks of my life and gave us a story that makes us laugh every time we tell it to someone. We're together 10 years now. By the way, the snowstorm was the worst storm recorded in NJ for over 30 years.

Thanx for sharing this ...

We all make mistakes like that at times, and we all benefit from your experience ... when shared.

pirep on those sensors/alarm?

That is the precise reason I installed these low fuel sensors in my tanks. I get alerted when each tank gets down to about five gallons. Not necessarily idiot proof, but one more thing to help me from becoming one.

bob

So Bob, how do you find them when you are down to 1/3 tank or so...with fuel sloshing around in bumps, or banking etc. Do you just ignore the alarm, and wait until you are in a level steady state to assess?

So Bob, how do you find them when you are down to 1/3 tank or so...with fuel sloshing around in bumps, or banking etc. Do you just ignore the alarm, and wait until you are in a level steady state to assess?

Well at 1/3 tank, I still have 10 gallons left. :D. But I know the point you are making.

Like must things with flying, you have to use common sense, use the data you know, and make decisions. The low fuel annunciators are just to trigger a forgetful memory, not a primary indicator.

The standard analog fuel gauges should show the approximate level of fuel, but isn't entirely accurate at the lower levels. However, it will validate that the tank is low, should the annunciator light.

I'm my RV, I also have a fuel flow sensor. So I also have a pretty good idea of my total fuel burn. It's pretty accurate, but it doesn't know which tank the fuel came from.

If you take all that input, you should have a pretty good idea what your current fuel state may be.

Yes, if there is rough weather, the low fuel annunciator will not be as accurate as in calm weather. The $64M question is how much sloshing is done at what fuel level to trigger the annunciator. I suspect it's less than five gallons. That will take me to a third of a tank. I typically don't fly my tanks that low, especially in bad weather.

Like I stated in my previous post, it's not idiot proof, but it does help.

Min Fuel

Great way to share & learn here! :)

And That IS what they call "experience" my friends!

We all know what the FARs say about landing with fuel reserves... stuff regarding the type of flying and day vs night and even category of flying machine.

In late the tern "Personal Minimums" get tossed around and things can get said, some good & some maybe not so good (for me).

When it comes to fuel state, all of us can agree, Personal Minimums are pretty straight forward-DON'T EVER RUN OUT OF GAS! :D

That's easy to say and one of those things that are ever nipping at our plans. Wx can make for a longer trip and many other ways to come up short. However, like professional pilots consistently point out to me, just about anyone can fly but the better ones tend to stay within the limits consistently-for me that includes Personal Minimums. ;)

What are your Personal Minimums when planing? And, how do those measure up to your real world experiences?:confused:

Great writing and congratulations in gaining a profound "experience" in the sky.:cool:

Great story

Great story which points to the reality that you must always leave yourself options and a way out that is viable. A good saying heard long ago is ?When there is some doubt, there is no doubt?. This applies to many decisions the PIC must make on each flight. Our ingrained experience comes from our mistakes and successes that we have as pilots. These stories are a great help and can aid greatly in making the right choice when the time comes to decide what to do when you come to the fork in the road.

Thank you!

Thank you for your courage in posting this story. In my way of thinking, you have every reason to be proud. I admire your looking at the incident carefully, analyzing each step in your decision making process and each contributing factor. The next time you are in a similar situation, warning flags will fly because of your consideration of this situation. As a bonus, if you help just one other person avoid fuel starvation and an off airport landing (or worse), this story was worth telling.

I got my lesson on get-there-itis very early in my private pilot training. A fellow in a Cessna 310 came into the flight school to buy charts. There were severe thunderstorms on his route of flight, and they were moving quickly. The chief flight instructor implored him to wait for the storms to pass, but he elected to press on because he had a meeting he just couldn't miss. He missed that meeting, and all the rest when his plane broke up in flight just 15 miles or so from the airport. A very expensive way for me to learn that lesson....but it is certainly a lesson I won't likely forget.

Bob, I like your low fuel lights. The Lears I fly at work have those as well. Like yours, they come on with 45 minutes to an hour of fuel in the tanks. I have only seen them illuminated once, and I didn't like it!

The problem with events like this is that it starts with a minor issue. Or something that creates that nagging little voice that it is not right.

I suspect that most of us have experienced that in a variety of situations...not just flying.

The bad thing is that sometimes that initial inner voice is ignored and things snowball to the point of becoming very bad.

Great write up Philip, Thanks. You send that into AOPA.

I was actually thinking of doing this. Maybe do a bit of a rewrite, since this post was basically just written stream-of-consciousness, and figure out how to submit it. Never know, I might get myself published.

I appreciate all the comments. I'm a bit of an insecure person by nature, which makes it that much harder to hang my faults like this out for everyone to see. But it doesn't do anyone else any good for me to keep this bottled up forever. I can only hope that someone will read this and, down the road, think twice before taking that "just a little" extra risk.

Back