VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV-9/9A (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My new LiFePo battery... (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=115447)

comfortcat 07-19-2014 06:26 PM

My new LiFePo battery...

I have the standard firewall mount from Van's for the PC680 but I want to use the new LiFePo Shorai LFX18L1-BS12 battery in my plane.

Many posts discuss the value of the swap, so I'll not discuss that here. Instead, I want to show how I got it to fit.

I bought a big hunk of styrofoam, and cut a piece 2 3/4 x 7 1/8 X 2 3/4 (These are approximate measurements, some trimmimg required). I placed the Shorai centered on top and drew a line around the base. Using a RotoZip tool, I cut an indentation 3/8" deep, Volia! Perfect fit and can use the same hold down.

And here is the best part! My hanger partner (who built a really nice RV-7) will make this my introductory lesson for fiberglassing! We will glass the block, and seal the foam from solvents.

deene 07-19-2014 07:01 PM

Suggest that you trim a little (1/32") off all surfaces and then fiberglas the surfaces of your foam block. Spacer will last much longer.

Arlen 07-19-2014 07:35 PM

So.....in that thread that ran for about 3 years concerning LiFePo batteries, there was much discussion about charging these batteries.

I couldn't figure out if there was a consensus of opinion amongst the 247 posts in that thread.

Are these safe with our usual alternator charging systems? Can one use a trickle charger back in the hangar?

BTW, thanks for your great photos here.

cubdriver 07-19-2014 08:41 PM

Battery - Trickle Charger

My experience is that these batteries don't need a trickle charger. You can let them sit for a year and they will only lose 10% of their power.

Used one for a couple years with an O-235 with no issues.

:cool:

comfortcat 07-19-2014 11:45 PM

Glassing the block...

Yup! That is what the lesson will all be about. I believe the styro will withstand the heat, but a fiberglass layer will make the entire block stronger.

Thanx!

CC

Quote:

Originally Posted by deene (Post 899200)
Suggest that you trim a little (1/32") off all surfaces and then fiberglas the surfaces of your foam block. Spacer will last much longer.

RV7Guy 07-20-2014 07:26 AM

Information has it....

That is a cool way to hold it. Be cautious of the foam degrading. You wouldn't want the battery to start settling.

Information has it that Shorai is going to have a drop in replacement for the 680. They will be at Oshkosh.

Regarding the charging, the charging protection circuit is in the battery. There is a balance port on the side that you use in addition to charging when not in the plane. I'm using a high end charger for my RC Lipo's and LiFe batteries to keep it charged till install.

GalinHdz 07-20-2014 08:25 AM

GREAT idea. The next step is to make a mold, mass produce them and sell the fiberglass box as a conversion kit for this application.

;)

F1R 07-20-2014 10:10 AM

Great adapter block. Alternatively one could use a block of wood and drill it full of holes for weight reduction and air circulation.

comfortcat 07-20-2014 11:53 AM

Yup!

Thought about wood, but had the styrofoam in the hanger (and wanted the fiberglass lesson)

This guy also used UHMW plastic:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...eferrerid=1843

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1R (Post 899336)
Great adapter block. Alternatively one could use a block of wood and drill it full of holes for weight reduction and air circulation.

Mike S 07-20-2014 01:15 PM

It is not a hard thing to fiberglass this, but may I suggest that you radius the outer corners so the glass can form over it without lifting. The other way to do it if you really want square corners is to glass only one side of the corner, then cut and dig out the foam back at a 45* angle-----make it a quarter inch or so wide, and build up the corner with flox then add the glass on the other side.

I would make the inner well oversize and then use some foam rubber to hold the battery snugly in place, and at the same time give it a bit of vibration damping