What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to remove wing walk material???

TomVal

Well Known Member
The material is adhered to a painted surface. What is the best technique in removing the material and also the adhesive from the wing?

Thanks,

Use a hair dryer / heat gun to carefully warm up the area and peal it off. Use 3M adhesive remover to get the remaining glue off. It will not damage the paint. Available at any automotive paint store.

Use a hair dryer / heat gun to carefully warm up the area and peal it off. Use 3M adhesive remover to get the remaining glue off. It will not damage the paint. Available at any automotive paint store.

Thanks Larry!

Tom

Thanks Larry!

Tom

I like to use a hairdyer over a heat gun. Heat guns get too hot IMHO. If you are careful they are fine, but too much chance for error working on a painted surface. My wife does not mind if I use her hair dryer..... if she doesn't find out. :eek:

Mineral spirits will usually take off a lot of the adhesive as well and shouldn't harm paint. DO NOT use acetone.

greg

I like to use a hairdyer over a heat gun. Heat guns get too hot IMHO. If you are careful they are fine, but too much chance for error working on a painted surface. My wife does not mind if I use her hair dryer..... if she doesn't find out. :eek:

Mineral spirits will usually take off a lot of the adhesive as well and shouldn't harm paint. DO NOT use acetone.

greg

Thanks again guys for the advice. Larry, I'm glad you suggested a hairdryer versus the heat gun because I was about to head for the "gun".

Tom

I have also used a product called "Stripe Eraser" I got from a local automotive paint shop -- it's basically a solid rubber type material, about 6" in diameter and 1" wide that you can use with a power drill. Does not damage paint at all and strips off both the material and the adhesive without use of any chemicals. It's used in the auto world to remove vinyl decals & striping, worked like a champ for me.

WD-40

I have used WD-40 to remove decals from cars with no damage to the paint. It's a slow process...drip it along the edge, peel a little, repeat. Works well if you don't mind taking some time.

Last edited:
Back