What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Formation Video

walkman

Well Known Member
I found some old footage of some formation flying and decided to use it to try and learn more about iMovie and the GoPro. Some of the positioning and signals are non-standard, I know where the flying is weak. But, I didn't run out of gas during the flight so things are looking up :)

Constructive criticism on the camera settings, iMovie, and Vimeo are appreciated. I'd especially like to hear if anyone knows why there is a wavyness to the video.

Enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/81447200

Nice!

I think the video is great! I know there are a lot of guys who do this and have a list of fixes for your issues, just google it, or wait a minute on here! :)
I've heard the 'jello' effect is similar to the strobing prop worms....an effect of the 'rolling shutter' characteristics of the CCD chip recording the images....combined with the vibration of the camera mount ...in this case the airframe as well.
Some guys have fixed the prop banana by forcing the cam to digitally 'open up' the aperture, ( or essentially slow the 'shutter' speed to let in more light, thus allowing the prop to move further between frames...all this kind of virtual as it's digital).
there are neutral density lense filters that will do this; NFLightcam comes to mind, but they are pricey. No doubt quite a few vendors for GoPro also offering this stuff!
lots of folks take some sunglasses and grind down a section of a lens, and attach it in front of the camera lens. If one doesn't work, layer another on top to double the effect.
keep shooting, you make us all envious.
( gotta rig up a mount for my new Sony cam that I go for 'christmas'!~:rolleyes:

Small correction: the waviness and jello effects are caused by the rolling shutter, yes, but on CMOS sensors. CCD's are apparently not prone to this, but the cost of CCD based cameras in this size and performance range is still quite high... So everyone uses CMOS. We like it, it's cheap.

Neutral density filters do reduce the effect slightly, but at the expense of shutter speed. They make the whole image darker, so the shutter stays open longer and captures more info for each frame. This averages the jello effect out over more frames, but increases the blurriness of the image (decreases the sharpness). On a bright sunny day, you may not see a difference in certain lighting conditions. On an overcast day or near dusk, good luck.

Nice video, good job! And to your comment inside the link about your nonstandard signal for a crossunder (around 0:50) - how is that nonstandard?:) That's the way all military pilots do it; do the civilians with no prior service teach something different? Just curious.

The crossunder signal in the video is USAF. Most civilian formation groups use the Navy signals (bent arm wit or without pups). The USAF x-under signal is sometimes hard to see in turbulence which seems to always be the case at airshows.

Formation Standards

Many years ago, the standards for civil formation flying was set down by the T-34 Formation Flying Manual and has since been type specified by various type specific manuals. For civilian, non-warbird formation flying, FFI has specified formation standards trying to stay true to the T-34 Manual. For RV specific formation flying, we have produced the FFI Formation Guidelines with can be downloaded on this site from the FAQ/Download section.

http://www.vansairforce.net/faq.htm

I stand corrected, very interesting, thanks for sharing. Interesting reading in the FFI guide...we use some different signals in the USAF for certain things. Didn't know the Navy did it slightly different, but I should say I'm not that surprised;). I'm enjoying the breadth of knowledge on these forums!

Just curious, do most guys out there teaching in formation clinics/schools around the country have a military background? Of the ones that do, are they primarily Navy or USAF guys, or an even mix of both? Do they all teach to the same set of standards listed in the link?

Last edited:
Just curious, do most guys out there teaching in formation clinics/schools around the country have a military background? Of the ones that do, are they primarily Navy or USAF guys, or an even mix of both? Do they all teach to the same set of standards listed in the link?

All of us who instruct at the FFI clinics do indeed use the manual and procedures that Falcon linked to in the above thread.

As for backgrounds, varied. Many military types, but just as many civilian trained. As we've all found over our flying careers, backgrounds are so varied that once a good foundation is laid, we most all can do anything we put our minds toward.

In the RV world, we all had to relearn formation. Just a totally different platform. Not easier, or harder, just different. Hands are still hands..good and bad.

Come to a clinic and get involved. You won't regret it.

Formation Clinic

Jerry or Stu

Are these clinics provided in the North East (NY,VT, NH ) sometimes?

How long do they last and can a Canadian Pilot participate?

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

All of us who instruct at the FFI clinics do indeed use the manual and procedures that Falcon linked to in the above thread.

As for backgrounds, varied. Many military types, but just as many civilian trained. As we've all found over our flying careers, backgrounds are so varied that once a good foundation is laid, we most all can do anything we put our minds toward.

In the RV world, we all had to relearn formation. Just a totally different platform. Not easier, or harder, just different. Hands are still hands..good and bad.

Come to a clinic and get involved. You won't regret it.

Widget, I know you're pretty tied up with the team mostly, but we'd love it if you'd come fly with Rebel Flight sometime. We have a slowly growing group, mostly flying on Saturdays out of 19A, KAND, WDR, LZU etc. We had a 5 ship up the other week! If you're interested PM for the forum I've set up to facilitate communication.

Many years ago, the standards for civil formation flying was set down by the T-34 Formation Flying Manual and has since been type specified by various type specific manuals. For civilian, non-warbird formation flying, FFI has specified formation standards trying to stay true to the T-34 Manual. For RV specific formation flying, we have produced the FFI Formation Guidelines with can be downloaded on this site from the FAQ/Download section.

http://www.vansairforce.net/faq.htm

Standards aside, with the little wings and susceptibility of our little airplanes to turbulence, even on light chop days its often hard to distinguish a valid x-under wing dip from a bump.

Back