What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Water in my elevator

DylanRush

Hi friends,

I just bought an RV-6a last weekend. I will keep it outside, as the hangar costs are so high in my area (Seattle) that I could just buy a new plane every ten years rather than store it inside. Not to mention hangar wait lists are 2-4 years long.

This week I noticed after some rain, water is collecting in the elevator. The side with the trim tab seems to drain but the side without the tab does not.

I?m wondering if I can drill a drain hole, and if so where.

Also what kind of resin or epoxy can I use to fill out some minor cracks in my fiberglass? And is it realistic for someone with an electronics and engineering background to be able to install some new avionics even though I haven?t done much work on cars or planes before?

Drains

In Canada we have to drill a hole in each section at the low point to pass inspection. Easy to do, just dont clip a rib. :)

In Canada we have to drill a hole in each section at the low point to pass inspection. Easy to do, just don't clip a rib. :)

Unless the ribs are sealed at the trailing edge, one hole at the root should be sufficient. Unless you gust lock in the full up position.

Yes, you can install avionics. Get the right tools (crimpers for regular and high density pins, stripers, etc.). Labels for each wire. And a body that can bend around upside down under the panel. It takes longer than you?d think. But yes, many of us have done full avionics installations.

"Originally Posted by RickWoodall
In Canada we have to drill a hole in each section at the low point to pass inspection. Easy to do, just don't clip a rib. :)"

I'm aware of drain holes in bottom of fuselage but never been asked for them in control surfaces or other panels. I would have reservations about drilling a hole thru a elevator skin near a trailing edge.

As Mel mentioned, you could open a hole in the inboard elevator rib.

holes

I believe i have 4-6 in fues, and vs etc has one or two each side. Anywhere that can hold trapped water must have drain. Its not like swiss cheese, just a couple along as part of MDRA certification.

My A&P ended up putting a little hole on the underside of the elevator, close to the trailing edge. I suppose I could have done it near the leading edge but I keep the gust locks neutral

Back