What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your tool chest

bruceh

Well Known Member
Show us your tool chest! The more stickers the better. I'll start.
019-M.jpg

Can you find the VAF sticker? I have both old and new Van's logo's also.

For a long time I've been enamored of building a Dutch Style tool box. It's a box made during colonial times. Once I got the plane and got it in the hangar I thought this would be a good opportunity. So I built it.

DutchToolbox0001_640.jpg

This next pic is the box opened. Two wooden slats slide down either side of the front and lock the box. The slats run through those locking slots at the top edge of the front panel:

DutchToolbox0002_640.jpg

The locking slats go through the gap between the drawer front and the drawer box locking that in as well:

DutchToolbox4_640.jpg

If you cannot unlock the top you cannot remove the locking slats and get into the storage shelves and drawer.

It's on castors so it can be rolled around.

The big hose in back was for an old engine pre-heater. I have a Reiff system now.

It's plenty large enough for the Hangar and has a decent set of tools for the kinds of small stuff I do in the hangar.

Mine is inappropriate..

I "stickered" mine up in the 80's while working at the airlines when we didn't have to mind our manners and have things be "sensitive", so it may have some offensive items among the usual tool and product promotional advertising. I best not post any pictures lest I be moderated!

Ron: nice cart!
Obviously a bunch of custom work there, but how about the basic rolling cart. Did you start with a store bought or a home built design?

Doug
Seattle area

I have to say it is pleasing to see so many tool chests that don't go much higher than waist level. One thing I notice about seasoned career A&Ps is they always have low tool boxes. They not only make great work surfaces but more importantly can be moved around aircraft more easily since they dont tend to catch wings or lift struts. Or if stationary a moved airplane is less likely to incur damage from a poorly placed tool box.

Rules of thumb:

Always low tool boxes
Make sure 80 percent of sockets and ratchets are 1/4 drive for aircraft work
Snap-On does make a difference to the apprentice and journeyman alike
If modifying a tool use something like a Craftsman or Stanley as the donor
No hack saws or electric tape, unless hidden from the Gomers

Ron: nice cart!
Obviously a bunch of custom work there, but how about the basic rolling cart. Did you start with a store bought or a home built design?

Doug
Seattle area

It's a stainless steel cart that my wife salvaged from a discard at a medical office. One of the red carts from Harbor Freight would work.

Back