What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jacking up an RV-6...

ccsmith51

Well Known Member
There was a thread a while back on how to jack up an RV-4. I struggled with that on my RV-4, and also now on my RV-6.

My buddy is pretty smart and he devised an easy jack that I think will work on most RV's. Below are photos.

It is very rugged and works well. If anyone is interested in one, PM me and I will get you contact info.

xqazr8.jpg

2dlkdba.jpg

ng4l4z.jpg

mw3akp.jpg

Very clever, however, if your using solid aluminum brake lines, there should be a loop there to prevent the line from stress fractures as the gear flexes and calipers move. This lift would not work for me as it would crush my lines.

Yes, the brake line coil would be a problem and if anyone jostled the plane while it was on the jack, there is enough flexibility in the gear leg that is still on the ground to allow the supported gear leg to either slip off the jack or tip it sideways.

It is a clever idea and should be a viable option if customized for a particular plane. I would want a wider base on the floor to stabilize it but may have to fire up the MIG welder and try something similar. Thanks for the idea!

Last edited:
Grabbed a couple of photos of the jack I use with the RV-6. This idea was stolen from a VAF thread a few years back. A U-bolt is permanently attached to the gear leg just inboard of the wheel pant mount to prevent the cable from sliding up the gear leg.

jack-1.jpg

jack-2.jpg

Might pay to make the right-angle bend a little less than 90 deg so the support leg is slightly over-centre when the jack is in position. This would increase the stability of the jack.

whats the measurement of the vertical piece of square tube? I like this and will fab something up for my 9A.
Although Sam's stand is really nifty as well, i dont fancy permanently mounting a bolt to the leg.

Sam, do you just leave the ubolt fastened on or is it actually welded to the gear leg?

There was a thread a while back on how to jack up an RV-4. I struggled with that on my RV-4, and also now on my RV-6.

My buddy is pretty smart and he devised an easy jack that I think will work on most RV's. Below are photos.

It is very rugged and works well. If anyone is interested in one, PM me and I will get you contact info.

xqazr8.jpg

2dlkdba.jpg

ng4l4z.jpg

mw3akp.jpg

I bought one of these and had high hopes. I had a flat this weekend and was able to get the pants off but I was disappointed to see that there is very little lower gear leg to capture with the jack platform. While I was trying to avoid the brake lines and trying to keep the jack under the gear leg, it slipped off and took a chunk out of my lower gear leg fairing. I put it away after that. I'm going to take a longer look at the problem in the hangar this weekend before I give up on it.

The jack is welded at an outside angle slightly greater than 270 degrees so once in the upright position it should hold its position well. Whether it will slip up or off the axle is yet to be seen. But even in the pictures it is only using a portion of the cradle.

What the RV really needs, in my non-builder mind, is a jacking tab welded near the elbow on the leg.

I eventually bought the smallest scissor jack I could find at HF last weekend to try to jack the wheel up by the bolt that holds the wheel pant on the end of the axle nut. Even with the smallest jack I could find, and a completely flat tire, I had to have a line guy kick the jack under the bolt while I tried to lift the plane enough by the bottom of the wing. What a nightmare.

I eventually bought the smallest scissor jack I could find at HF last weekend to try to jack the wheel up by the bolt that holds the wheel pant on the end of the axle nut. Even with the smallest jack I could find, and a completely flat tire, I had to have a line guy kick the jack under the bolt while I tried to lift the plane enough by the bottom of the wing. What a nightmare.

Hmmm, that 1/4" bolt screws into a nutplate inside the axle nut & the nutplate is mounted with 2 - 3/32 rivets. Not much strength to trust to hold maybe 40% of the weight of the plane!
Safest way I found to lift the side of a taildragger is an engine hoist lifting at the corner of the engine mount. Someone on the field must have one you could borrow.

Hmmm, that 1/4" bolt screws into a nutplate inside the axle nut & the nutplate is mounted with 2 - 3/32 rivets. Not much strength to trust to hold maybe 40% of the weight of the plane!
Safest way I found to lift the side of a taildragger is an engine hoist lifting at the corner of the engine mount. Someone on the field must have one you could borrow.

HAHAHA...nobody on the field had ANYTHING I could use. I was out there on the taxiway for 8 hours in the pouring rain and split my time between driving to stores to buy things I thought might help and using those things to try to get back to my hangar.

To be honest, I was worried about the bolt itself, but I figured the worst that could happen is it would drop the plane back onto the flat tire an inch or two. I have to say that I am not a fan of using a ram to jack the wing up. It may work well but has potential disaster written all over it. Still searching for my own solution but now at least I am back in my dry hangar with all the time I need to fix things.

HAHAHA...nobody on the field had ANYTHING I could use. I was out there on the taxiway for 8 hours in the pouring rain and split my time between driving to stores to buy things I thought might help and using those things to try to get back to my hangar.

To be honest, I was worried about the bolt itself, but I figured the worst that could happen is it would drop the plane back onto the flat tire an inch or two. I have to say that I am not a fan of using a ram to jack the wing up. It may work well but has potential disaster written all over it. Still searching for my own solution but now at least I am back in my dry hangar with all the time I need to fix things.

This axle jack setup has been in use for many years:

181.jpg

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=561-1

I've used one many times with a small floor jack and it works nicely.

Thanks Sam. I actually noticed that Sunday and sent them a question about the "modification" necessary to the nut (I believe). It looks like a nice solution though. And it would leave the entire axle to be rested on a solid stand of your choice with little risk of moving if don't right.

Is that mount low enough to easily get into the axle with the tire flat?

OH, I noticed you don't use this. I remember your set-up. That seems to be the way to go. That is, an offset lever/hoist of some sort that is built not to slip. I like your creation but I have no capability to weld anything so I am still trying to skin the cat another way.

Last edited:
Thanks Sam. I actually noticed that Sunday and sent them a question about the "modification" necessary to the nut (I believe). It looks like a nice solution though. And it would leave the entire axle to be rested on a solid stand of your choice with little risk of moving if don't right.

Is that mount low enough to easily get into the axle with the tire flat?

OH, I noticed you don't use this. I remember your set-up. That seems to be the way to go. That is, an offset lever/hoist of some sort that is built not to slip. I like your creation but I have no capability to weld anything so I am still trying to skin the cat another way.

I used that rig several years both with and without the axle nut mod. Modifying the nut allows you to spin the tire while adjusting preload on the bearings. But I also used it by removing an unmodified nut and reinstalling it while the wheel was on the ground. This isn't the recommended method but can be done if you pay attention to what is going on. The fixture will fit even with a flat tire.

You could build a fixture like I currently use with a bolted-together design. Substitute a couple of steel gussets for the welds and it should work fine. Or....take the pieces of tubing to a welding shop (or a builder with a welder) and have them spend ten minutes welding it together.

jack-1.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a pic of the ubolt and how it is fixed to the gear leg? I did think about getting something welded but I figured it would take me a few attempts to get the angles and lengths correct.

I really need a good look at the problem in the hangar so I have time to look things over in the dry daylight. :)

Do you have a pic of the ubolt and how it is fixed to the gear leg? I did think about getting something welded but I figured it would take me a few attempts to get the angles and lengths correct.

I really need a good look at the problem in the hangar so I have time to look things over in the dry daylight. :)

No photo of the u-bolt. It's just...uh....bolted to the leg. :)

Jacks

Yes, have wing jacks also but aren't appropriate in all cases. I like Sam's Jack solution which would be ideal in your situation. Just thinking I'd run into a problem using this style jack in my hangar as lifting/swivelling motion of the airframe may cause clearance issues with the multiple other planes/projects stuffed in it. Always looking for other jacking solutions, like lifting fully dressed airframes to easily do W&B etc.

Yes, have wing jacks also but aren't appropriate in all cases. I like Sam's Jack solution which would be ideal in your situation. Just thinking I'd run into a problem using this style jack in my hangar as lifting/swivelling motion of the airframe may cause clearance issues with the multiple other planes/projects stuffed in it. Always looking for other jacking solutions, like lifting fully dressed airframes to easily do W&B etc.

The wheel is only raised a couple of inches with probably less than that in lateral movement. If you have room to squeeze between the wingtip and the other prizes in your hangar there will be no issues with clearances.

OK, I imagine then that the cables in the pic are fixed to the ubolt and removed afterward. Either way, a nice levered solution!

No...the u-bolt is merely to prevent the cable from sliding up the gear leg. It serves as a "stop", it is not attached to the cable.

Place the 'jack' in position, release one end of the cable from the jack, loop the cable underneath the gear leg and up against the u-bolt, reattach the cable to the jack, then lift the whole deal with the floor jack. The cable is just a sling to lift the gear leg.

I think I have described this arrangement about as fully as I am able..... ;)

Last edited:
This axle jack setup has been in use for many years:

181.jpg

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=561-1

I've used one many times with a small floor jack and it works nicely.

This works great. In addition, for travel purposes, I'm taking just the horizontal part that fits into the hole in the axle (it's held to the upright portion by a screw, so is removable) and the smallest scissors jack I can find (from a Miata) to keep weight down, and use the scissors to lift the bar...fairly lightweight (compared to the bottle jack) and fits into a little pouch to go into the baggage area along with tiedowns and such.

does the 9A have hollow gear legs i wonder?
also, how do you remove the wheel from this setup?

This works great. In addition, for travel purposes, I'm taking just the horizontal part that fits into the hole in the axle (it's held to the upright portion by a screw, so is removable) and the smallest scissors jack I can find (from a Miata) to keep weight down, and use the scissors to lift the bar...fairly lightweight (compared to the bottle jack) and fits into a little pouch to go into the baggage area along with tiedowns and such.

Slide the wheel out onto the tube (that's why the tube is as long as it is...), put a prop under the axle, then withdraw tube and wheel.

I had forgotten about the trick of just carrying a piece of pipe or tubing and depending on being able to find a floor jack on location. Works great with any of the hollow-axle planes.

Last edited:

Dunno about the -9. You basically just slide the wheel off of the gear leg and onto the bar (after undoing the nut, which as noted is modified or they sell them to go with the jack), then lower the jack and rest the gear leg on a 4x4 wood block, then take the bar out. Voil'a tout!

Avery modified axle nuts to go with jack

Last edited:
My update 1/24/15:

I just wanted to follow-up on my other comments. I actually got to use the jack lever in the pics last weekend in my hangar when I had time to see how it was working and take a good look at the way it fit the gear leg. On my first tire change, I lowered the plane onto the half pipe and it seemed to be a sturdy support. The lever was tipped about 10 degrees outboard while the plane was resting on it. I assumed this was due to the curve in the gear leg as it turns up toward the engine mount. I did my tire change and then slowly and carefully lowered the plane to the ground using the bar, with no slipping.

I changed the other tire and tube that day as well, this time using only the lever jack. I pushed it up under the gear leg next to the junction with the axle, tried to steady it in place with my foot, and slowly pushed down on the lever. The plane rolled onto the half pipe and stayed there. This time the flat tabs on the lever were flat on the ground. I did all my worked and then safely lowered it back down.

I added some pics here. I have to say that this was a very very simple way to lift the wheel off the ground. It seems to work well enough and the plane appeared to be stable once the wheel was lifted. My only concerns were that the half pipe would not be enough to scoop the gear leg up once you got some of the plane's weight on it. My other concern was that there was very little (if any) horizontal gear leg to rest on the half pipe. The gear leg leaves the junction with axle and makes a very quick transition up the leg to the fuselage. You can see it in the pictures. But at the end of the day, I didn't feel or hear the gear leg trying to slide off the end of the half pipe. It seemed to make a solid, secure lift point.

In the hangar, this should prove to be a great way to take the wheels off for service. As far as carrying it, it weighs a fair amount. Probably in the ballpark of a hydraulic ram. But it is much less compact. I have a couple ideas for anyone that is considering making a similar device (or you could buy one from the guy that came up with the idea!). I think a hinged handle with a bolt to lock it in place might make it easier to tuck in the back of your plane. Or, a sleeved handle would accomplish the same thing.

All along, I had intended to test the lifting process at different points along the handle to see if it could be shortened at all. But it was my first tire and tube change and my first time lifting the plane, so I quickly shifted my focus to a safe successful job and called it a day. I imagine some of the handle end could be cut off for a travel version without forcing you to have to stand on the handle to lift the plane.

Just some thoughts!!

Andy

sIMG_5535_zps3luyhiwk.jpg

sIMG_5536_zpskdozztqc.jpg

sIMG_5495_zpse55ypmq5.jpg

sIMG_5497_zpsaiate2v8.jpg

sIMG_5532_zpskqdi3hup.jpg

SUCCESS!

sIMG_5534_zps277klaeg.jpg

I bought one of these and had high hopes. I had a flat this weekend and was able to get the pants off but I was disappointed to see that there is very little lower gear leg to capture with the jack platform. While I was trying to avoid the brake lines and trying to keep the jack under the gear leg, it slipped off and took a chunk out of my lower gear leg fairing. I put it away after that. I'm going to take a longer look at the problem in the hangar this weekend before I give up on it.

The jack is welded at an outside angle slightly greater than 270 degrees so once in the upright position it should hold its position well. Whether it will slip up or off the axle is yet to be seen. But even in the pictures it is only using a portion of the cradle.

What the RV really needs, in my non-builder mind, is a jacking tab welded near the elbow on the leg.

Last edited:
Back