What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wood Prop Refinishing

BASE1127

It's about time to refinish my Pacesetter wood prop and I did a search to find out what varnish and paints folks were using. This will be my first attempt at refinishing, but from folks I've talked to and sources like http://www.thompson-aero.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=66&Itemid=34 it sounds pretty straightforward.
My only question is, is there a preferred brand or type of marine spar varnish? Is there a preferred type of paint to use on the tips (durability an issue at high velocity?) and rear face (flat/ no glare)?
Much thanks,
Eric

Paint

For paint, I believe that Craig Catto uses PPG on the front faces, and for the propeller backs he uses: ACE Interior/Exterior Premium Enamel Wrought Iron Flat Black 17003/17003.

Thanks for the tip! $3 a can for flat black sounds great. I've sprayed PPG/imron through a gun before, but if I can paint the tips with a rattle can, it'd sure make the job quicker and easier. Does anybody else have any suggestions?

Catalyzed acrylic enamel

Any catalyzed acrylic enamel will do a great job but none will resist rain damage. I refinished my Pacesetter at last Condition Inspection w/ rattle cans and balanced w/ Paul Lipps prop balencer and it's as smooth as silk.

Any catalyzed acrylic enamel will do a great job but none will resist rain damage. I refinished my Pacesetter at last Condition Inspection w/ rattle cans and balanced w/ Paul Lipps prop balencer and it's as smooth as silk.

Did you rattle can the varnish as well?

Prop finish

I refinished my Sterba by sanding smooth, spray can "urethane" varnish and flat black on backside, basic high temp engine paint. I havent done any tip color. Made a balance rig with a piece of tubing and 2 machette blades in a vise. Add a coat of the flat black to the light blade until balance achieved. I have 100 hrs. on it since finishing, and not even a scratch to report. i have been in light rain a couple times, but not for long. Fly over to 8A7 (Twin lakes) sometime. Im not far from you.

Back