What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Considering building an RV-8

I am first time builder considering an RV8. I am looking for an aircraft that is both capable of local sport flying as well as the occasional cross country trip. I would primarily be flying solo. Any thoughts? Is there a better project to build for my first airplane?

Thanks,
Tony

Welcome

I am first time builder considering an RV8. I am looking for an aircraft that is both capable of local sport flying as well as the occasional cross country trip. I would primarily be flying solo. Any thoughts? Is there a better project to build for my first airplane?

Thanks,
Tony

Tony,

Welcome to VAF! I'm sure you will get many opinions in response to your question. All of the Van's aircraft are wonderful airplanes and can be built by anyone with a modicum of skill. It is a learning process and you will build upon your skills as you go. Which model to build depends on your mission. The -9, -10 and -12 are not aerobatic. The -3 has only one seat. The -4 and -6 are a bit more difficult to build as they do not incorporate the matched hole technology of the later models, however there are some great deals to be had on used -4's and -6's if you want to go that route. The choice of side-by-side or tandem seating is a hot topic. If you travel with a significant other, a side-by-side -6 or -7 may be preferred unless you are on the large side as the shoulder room gets a bit tight. (That's where the -14 comes in; lots of shoulder room.) If you plan on doing a lot of formation and/or aerobatics the -4 or the -8 may suit you better. The centerline seating and unrestricted view make them well-suited.
After hearing all the opinions, make your own decision.
Now, do you want to hear about conventional gear versus tailwheel; constant speed versus fixed pitch,etc? Stay tuned...:D

Yep

Smokey gave you good advice, as an -8 owner.

The beauty of the -8 is also its 200 MPH cruise capabilities and more room for the Bubba sized guys.

...oh, and a big welcome to VAF!

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF

Tony....Welcome to VAF!

My love affair has been going on with the RV-8 for 16 years....although I have only recently become an actual builder! My reasons for the -8 were: afraid I would be lacking shoulder room in side by side (big shoulders from body building of course:D). I figger that I can remove the stick in the back when my wife and I travel and she will have all the room in the world to read or ????

It really is a personal choice.....best wishes!

YOL BOLSON!!!

Thanks,
Tony

Tony:

Your situation sounds very much like mine when deciding what to build. I chose the -8 because I usually travel solo, wanted a good local VFR sport plane, a taildragger plus some cross-country and sport aerobatic capabilities. I could talk for hours about the -8 (most -8 people can), but I'll cut to the chase -- this is an ideal airplane for what you want to do.

It's a great pattern airplane as it flies slow very well.

It's a great taildragger because it has excellent forward over the nose visibility even when taxiing (no S turning required) and has a large rudder to help give you precise control on takeoffs and landings. It's a well mannered taildragger.

Sport aerobatics are a pleasure due to the well harmonized controls.

And it's a great cross-country airplane because it's speed enables you to go so many places quickly (and back home again the same day if need be). My trip from Dallas (52F) to Oshkosh each year (775 nm) is less than five flight hours. The -8's two baggage areas offer plenty of space for the solo traveler and enough for two if you plan accordingly.

One caveat, I've found I underestimated my use of the plane for cross-country. I've done much more than I thought I would and if I had it to do over, I would have equipped the -8 for IFR right out of the gate.

As you can tell, I'm a fan of the RV-8. Based on the needs you stated in your post, i think it would be a great choice for you.

Chris

Tony,

It's hard to go wrong with a -8, but I'd suggest you get some time in one to see if it suits you. I fly one quite often and have a bunch of long cross countries in it as well as plenty of local goofing off - and I can say that I once was seroiusly considering one, but it's probably out of the running now. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good airplane - but some things rub me the wrong way. The bottom line is that nobody on the internet can tell you one way or the other - get some seat time and go from there.

Tony,

Welcome to VAF! I'm sure you will get many opinions in response to your question. All of the Van's aircraft are wonderful airplanes and can be built by anyone with a modicum of skill. It is a learning process and you will build upon your skills as you go. Which model to build depends on your mission. The -9, -10 and -12 are not aerobatic. The -3 has only one seat. The -4 and -6 are a bit more difficult to build as they do not incorporate the matched hole technology of the later models, however there are some great deals to be had on used -4's and -6's if you want to go that route. The choice of side-by-side or tandem seating is a hot topic. If you travel with a significant other, a side-by-side -6 or -7 may be preferred unless you are on the large side as the shoulder room gets a bit tight. (That's where the -14 comes in; lots of shoulder room.) If you plan on doing a lot of formation and/or aerobatics the -4 or the -8 may suit you better. The centerline seating and unrestricted view make them well-suited.
After hearing all the opinions, make your own decision.
Now, do you want to hear about conventional gear versus tailwheel; constant speed versus fixed pitch,etc? Stay tuned...:D

All sound advice but are Tail Dragger & Conventional not one & the same or did I miss the joke?

Thanks everyone for the welcome! It seems like I am on the right track. It is great to hear from actual builders. I am so excited to start its hard to sit back and think through everything. It sound slike this airplance is a good fit for what I will be doing. I think I will try to fly one before I build just to put my mind at ease. It sounds like I can't go wrong buying an RV!

Thank you again for all of the responese, this seems like a great resource to have once my project is underway. I joined the local EAA chapter last week toio and it turns out a few guys in there have build RVs. So now the next step is getting my workshop ready and starting to buy the tools. Any good places to look for used tools (besides the obvious, carigslist, ebay, etc...)?

Thanks,

Tony

Good machine

Tony,
As stated previously, the -8 is a great choice to build. My only complaint is I don't get to fly my as often as I like. It was my 1st build (I had done a couple of rebuilds on non-metal airplanes) and it was very straight forward and enjoyable.

Any good places to look for used tools (besides the obvious, carigslist, ebay, etc...)?

I got the bulk of my tools right here on VAF. I was reading the forume here on a daily basis a full year or more before I ordered, and I ended up getting a whole tool kit for pretty cheap. I forget the exact price, but it included three air drills, 3X rivet gun, bucking bars snips, a ton of drill bits, and a bunch more stuff.

Of course, I've still sunk plenty more money into tools since then, but I figure that it's all cheap since we're talking about a combination of aviation dollars and tool dollars!

One thing to really keep an eye out for is used clecos. In the grand scheme of things, they're not that bad, but buying the Van's recommended number will set you back $250-300. They'll pop up in the classifieds here from time to time, but they go FAST.

Good luck!

Any thoughts on buying the preview plans set? I assume there was no harm in looking at what I am getting myself into! Any other first time builder advice?

Thanks again for all of the replies!

-Tony

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Van's won't let you order any kits unless you've already gotten the preview plans, so you might as well go ahead and get them. I ordered mine sometime last year, about nine months before I ordered the actual kit, and for sort of the same reason that you did: to see what I was getting myself into.

The first night after I got them, I paged through and, after about half an hour or so, I stuck them on a shelf and went to bed with a bit of a sense of "what in the world have I gotten myself into?" But when I looked back at them a few days later, it all started to come together; now that I was past that initial semi-overwhelming moment, I could look at drawings and start to see what parts were what and how it all fit together.

Now I know what you mean when you said" What did I get myself into!?" I just got the preview plans. I am working on straightening out my garage so I can have a good space to work. I am thinking about attending the EAA sheetmetal basics class. Any other books or learning material to consider?

Thanks again for all of the replies!

-Tony

Back