What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

trip to the SW store

rjcthree

Well Known Member
SO I went to the Sherwin Williams automotive store today, expecting to buy primer(s) and paint. I expected to go home with one of the DTM primers and Genesis. Things then got weird.

The tech rep (on the phone with the counter guy) said to use the LCF Wash self-etching primer and Genesis M. I'm good with all of that, little different than I expected, but they are the experts. The tech rep has personal experience painting experimental aircraft.

The problem is, that now that I am home, I'm reviewing the tech sheets, and the LCF primer says it MUST (bolded in the tech sheet) be primed or sealed before topcoating.

Maybe I'm lazy, but I really don't think I NEED to be in a 3-layer system.

Anybody have any experience shooting Genesis over the Wash primer directly? Or experience with the SW epoxy or urethane (E2A933 or E2A819 respectively) DTM primers?

Rick 90432

I'll just give you the specs on my Genesis paint. This is from 2007. Many RV's around here, were painted with these product numbers.

Genesis 3.5 VOC single stage paint Mix 3-1
CN 1091??? 3.5 VOC hardner .... hard to read through the paint splashed on the can

E2W932 Primer Mix 4-1-1
V6C943 3.5 Epoxy Primer Activator
VS100 solvent

RS7382 2K ??? (paint on the can again) was used on fiberglass parts, before painting with the above. I also used a self etching SW product in a spray can. No numbers for that.

Detailed specs for mixing etc, have been on the Sherwin Williams website.

FWIW -- this paint has been great! Very tough, chemical resistant, and flexible. Easily shines to look like it was just painted.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Closing the loop

I talked to Kerry Peoples (sp?) who is the SW tech rep, and has built 5 Van's aircraft(surprize!).

Indeed the 970 wash with Genesis over the top is what he puts on aircraft. The 'must be primed or sealed' note which scares me so much in the -970 tech sheet is primarily for steel substrates.

Laying a 'standard primer', espcially by novice painters (me) can lead to excessive build and subsequent adhesion issues. He volunteered to come out to review with me before I start shooting. Gotta love it!

Rick 90432

Back