What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-390 with SJ Plenum

vmirv8bldr

Well Known Member
Has anyone here installed a Sam James Plenum on an IO-390 and then mounted the large SW oil cooler? Looks like this is going to be a tight fit, and have to get the AFP spider reconfigured.

Appreciate any guidance, tips, hints, and especially pictures.

Thanks in advance,
Bart

I have the same problem with an angle valve I0-360

Dan Horton comes to mind and he designed his own plenum. Nice work too, I might add I am a Dan fan! Positioning with the larger engine? The larger Oil cooler works well on the right firewall. Place it in a horizontal position, down low. Use a 4" hose leading into a duct and make a gentle bend. (Make the duct like Dan H does here) http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=44856
or use wood to make a form and clear tape, then lay the wet cloth, glass.

I would rotate the spyder upside down and that should give you the plenum clearance. Sam recommends this. Alternatively, cut-out a spyder hole (no pun intented) and glass a dome over the spyder to solve the clearance. Easy enough either way.

Good luck
Mike

I used Sam's plenum on my '8 with a 390. Plenum fit after I split it, put a joint in the center (fore/aft), and added a bump (about 1/2" high) to clear the spider.

I've had very good results speed and cooling. I used a larger oil cooler mounted on the firewall and a 4" duct feeding it off #3.

Back