What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with Medical Flights

jsenft

Well Known Member
Everyone,
My co-worker reached out to me regarding her friend in Florida. Her friend is on a list to receive a kidney transplant. She is in Florida in the Daytona area. Apparently, over the weekend she was informed that a Kidney match was made in Milwaukee Wisconsin. They would not let her travel via commercial airline because of the Covid-19 risk. She looked into hiring a private plane and was not able to come up with the funds to fly to Milwaukee. (This blow my mind but this request is not about funding.) As a result, she was not able to receive the transplant. My Co-worker asked me if I knew of any organizations that help give transportation for medical patients. I said I would reach out to my group of friends to see if I can help get her in touch with a group that might be able to help with transportation to Milwaukee if the opportunity would present itself in the future.

Angel Flight

Start with Angel Flight. Disappointed to hear that they did not want her flying commercial air. With all of the mitigation protocols in place, I think her traveling on commercial air has very minimal risk and obviously the kidney transplant is life-saving. Anyway, regarding the Angel Flight, that is something that should typically be set up in advance so that when she gets notification she can just go and not have to then try to work a flight. My 2 cents.

Start with Angel Flight. Disappointed to hear that they did not want her flying commercial air. With all of the mitigation protocols in place, I think her traveling on commercial air has very minimal risk and obviously the kidney transplant is life-saving. Anyway, regarding the Angel Flight, that is something that should typically be set up in advance so that when she gets notification she can just go and not have to then try to work a flight. My 2 cents.

Angel Flight East and PALs have both suspended passenger flights due to COVID-19. Although individual pilots may not follow those suspensions, they're not covered under the umbrella of those organizations at the moment. There may be individual pilots who are willing and able, though, and near enough to the origin or destination to be able to help.

Last edited:
Angel Flight East and PALs have both suspended passenger flights due to COVID-19. Although individual pilots may not follow those suspensions, they're not covered under the umbrella of those organizations at the moment. There may be individual pilots who are willing and able, though, and near enough to the origin or destination to be able to help.

Southeast?s Angel Flight is back open and providing flights.

Compassion Flights

AngelFlight typically doesn't allow Experimental aircraft use, although there may be some differences by Region. One organization that does allow EAB is Lifeline Pilots based in Peoria IL. I've flown several missions with them in the -10. Haven't had much opportunity since I moved to TX but I did get to fly the third leg last month for a little boy with a heart condition that needed to get from Green Bay to Houston. On the subject of the Lady that needed the transplant, contacting the umbrella organization for compassion flights would be a good start - AirCare Alliance.

Back