What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Petit Jean 2012 RV Fly-In Camp-In .... is ON !!

BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
Sponsor
PLEASE PLEASE Fill out this on-line Registration if you are planning on coming. Parking space is limited and accommodations tight!

Register here - >>

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Petit_Jean_Registration_WebForm

Well, with Doug and Ross's blessing, [I]Petit Jean is ON again! Date set as November 2, 3, and 4.[/I] After last year, there wasn’t much we could think of to make it better except to line up some events so here is what we have planned for this year. In addition to 4 star camping, great nature trails, indoor camping at the Presidents Lodge, formation flying, 6 full meals, and a LOT of RV socializing….. we have also tentatively lined up the following:

1. At 9:00 AM Saturday morning, a pair of military C 130 heavy air transports from the Jacksonville Air Force Base will airdrop a pair of M1A Abrams Battle Tanks onto the ramp in front of the camping area followed by formation touch and goes. They have asked us not to tie down any airplanes within 20 yards of the drop zone…. They didn’t mention what to do with lawn chairs 

2. Paul Dye, our NASA Mission Control representative, will be flying the space shuttle in later Saturday morning! Word is that he will announce at 20 miles out, do a hot approach, engine out per Shuttle SOP and Bob Hoover approved, roll inverted at the 5 mile break, pull and pray very hard, then landing to the south headed toward the lake. He has asked that we extend the runway about 15,000 feet…. Not sure if we will get the last 14,850 feet completed by November so he could have to make it a landing with a water brake at the end 

3. Jay Pratt, renowned Fort Worth RV builder will construct a complete and flyable RV10 from a quick build kit in 8 hours flat ... while we watch! He will not paint it, he said that might make him late for dinner! He did request a first flight test pilot with a glider rating ….. wonder what he is thinking on that one ??

4. Tanya "Cookie Lady" Card has offered to make her famous cookies but has limited us to one dozen. Accordingly, they will be auctioned off every hour with a minimum bid of $200 each. All cookies not sold by Friday night will be eaten by the primary ground crew for breakfast Saturday 

5. For you unlimited wrestling lovers…. after an amazing demonstration setting up his tent last year, Danny King will be locked in a wire cage and go 4 full 8 minute rounds with a queen sized blow up mattress! The official Vegas line is that he will win the match in round 3!

OK, enough.... :) if you were there last year, you know we’re really not going to do anything but hang out, eat a lot, talk RVs, do a little flying, camping, laughing, and visitating  Either way, the message is the same, get it on your calendar, plan on coming and having a good time.

The usual deal, dogs & burgers, banquet dinner at the campground for Friday afternoon arrivals, full dinner TakeOut on the Tarmac Saturday night. Typical EAA meal donations. Light breakfasts, and transportation to lodge and trails is provided. It will be fun!

Be sure and check this link to a PDF with camping info, group room rates, hiking trails, things to do, pictures, etc. : This is a Keep and Share Account. Click on Download File Now. Takes about 50-60 seconds to download!

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4385422/petit-jean-2012-info-package-3-2-meg?da=y

PLEASE PLEASE Fill out this on-line Registration if you are planning on coming. Parking space is limited and accommodations tight!

Register here - >>

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Petit_Jean_Registration_WebForm

For Group Room Rates at the Rockefeller Conference Center – Ask for Petit Jean Group Fly-In #46321
These are really nice!
Ask for Presidents Lodge $79
(if full ask for the Meadows $69)
Rockefeller Center
Call 501-727-5435 or 866-972-7778

THIS IS NOT MATHER LODGE !

Email [email protected] for more information.

Here are couple of my favorite pictures from last year! Gotta love this one :)

Sunrise over the lake is pretty awsome!

Setting up for the nigh! 18 tents on Friday night and 26 rooms at the lodge!

it's a family affair! The lodge makes it great for the ladies and babies too :)

Overhead of the ramp. Over 50 on the ramp Saturday afternoon. Camping is just to the left in the woods. Showers, water, and electricity close.

Fun time in the Presidents Lodge gathering area! Some wine'ing going on ;-)

Lottttssaa RVs, 30+ on the ramp Friday night. 65 for BBQ banquet

Even did formate'ing in public :rolleyes: Zat'u Scott ??

Bulldog Flight of 3....smoking !!!

That was last year and with some luck this year will be even more fun. It's all about the gathering. Once again sponsored by EAA 165 KORK, EAA 1398 KHOT . Same great "make a donation" price.... all we ask is that you let us know you're coming so we know what and how much to cook :)

Make plans to come and camp or lodge. Lodge rooms limited to first 30 and we filled 26 last year. Make thos resevations soon! Hope to see everyone at Oshkosh! Fly safe!

Bill S
7a Got the Grin!

Last edited:
Activities

Bill, great line up again this year, are we not doing the Wet T-Shirt contest like we did Aston year??

Link

Bill, the link to camping info is not working.

I would like to get more info and plan to make the gathering.

Thanks

Absolutely!

This will be the first opportunity for me to go to Petit Jean in my new RV. I bought a new tent just for Osh and Petit Jean. Will probably bring my son too. Sooo looking forward to it.

Gary, Dave,..looks like I am technically challenged :confused: I can't seem to park the Info PDF anywhere where it is accessible. If someone could offer a suggestion, I would appreciate it. Right now it's on the MidSouth RV site but apparently you have to be a member to access the link. I converted it to a tinyURl but no luck.

(OK try the link above in the first post.... should work now !)

Here is the lodging info and if you will send an email to
[email protected] or PM me, I'll send you the information on trails and hiking directly.

For Group Rate – Ask for Petit Jean Group Fly-In #46321
These are really nice!

It will be fun :)

Thanks Bill S

Last edited:
Patti and I are booked at the lodge for Saturday night....her idea, if that tells something about this event

Even for all the craziness, we've been thinking maybe, maybe not, but if 'The Horton' is going, Tanya just said, "that is definitely in favor of going."

wife and i plan to go.

she will want us at the lodge, so i'll try to do that, but if that doesn't work i plan to talk here into coming anyway and camp for a nite or two. we are hikers, mainly...

Trails are fun !

Don, lots of folks like the hiking! Last year, we made 4-5 trips taking folks to the trails ... maybe 20 so hikers! Give or take a few..... we got almost everyone picked up the same day ;)

Glad you're coming. Make room reservations soon if you are planning on lodging.... camping is always wide open!

Bill S

Sky Terrier will be there

Twany and I have our reservations at the Lodge. Had so much fun last year it is on our do not miss list.

Will be there

Booked the lodge and the wife:D Don Short and Joe Underwood will also be coming. Should be fun

It all depends on decent flying weather, naturally, but I had a good enough time last year that it's on my calendar for this year. I'd love to include the spousal unit, but I'm afraid that would mean getting a room in the lodge.

I'll know more as the date draws nigh ...

Meadows available

My wife and I have a room for both Friday and Saturday at the Meadows. The Presidential Lodge was already booked.

See everyone in Novemeber

Guess we'll see you there in the Meadows, Gary. When I asked the spousal unit last night whether she planned to join me this year, she said, "Only if we stay in a hotel room." Harrumph. Oh, then she added, "YOU can camp if you want."

So, since I know that Smokey wouldn't get off the ground with all of her junk AND camping gear, I guess we'll be staying at the Meadows.

Looking forward to seeing everybody again!

Now, we just need good weather ...

Need some knitters

Last year there were some knitters that attended, I hope they are planning to attend again this year as I have persuaded my spouse to come along and meet some cool knitters. If all she hears is " CHT, EGT, Lean of Peak, ADS-B etc" I may be in trouble:eek:

BTW, unrequested aerobatics cause the pointy objects to become large, dull acupuncture needles....or so I am reliably informed.

...and it doesn't matter if the RV is side-by-side or tandem seating in that case.

A knitter on board!

Last year there were some knitters that attended, I hope they are planning to attend again this year as I have persuaded my spouse to come along and meet some cool knitters. If all she hears is " CHT, EGT, Lean of Peak, ADS-B etc" I may be in trouble:eek:

No worries, we'll throw in some K2TOG, KFB and SSK's and she'll be right at home :D

had to bow out of PJ, after all...

was really looking forward to it, wife and i had a room at the President's, but gave it up when we found out our local airpark community flyin is the same weekend. dang.

See You There!

I will be there with my friend Peggy. Staying in the resort. First time and really looking forward to it.
Don

Are Cessnas allowed?

My 9A is still a ways off from flying, and in the meantime I'm stuck renting Skyhawks. My wife and I would still like to attend, that is, if we won't be ridiculed right out of Petit Jean. What say the masses?

I used to drive a straight tail 172. I loved that old plane. No ridicule here. Besides you're one of us now.:)

Last edited:
My 9A is still a ways off from flying, and in the meantime I'm stuck renting Skyhawks. My wife and I would still like to attend, that is, if we won't be ridiculed right out of Petit Jean. What say the masses?

A man with a bottle of good scotch is never ridiculed at any campfire...;)

Please register if you haven't already .... !!

It's looking like a large group is heading this way so PLEASE PLEASE Fill out this on-line Registration if you are planning on coming. Parking space is limited and accommodations tight!

We're working hard to make it a good time and easy but we really need to know a head count for food and parking. Still have camping room but I think the Lodge is full.

This is an on-line registration and just takes a few seconds!

Register here - >> https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Petit_Jean_Registration_WebForm

For updates please email [email protected]

For Group Room Rates at the Rockefeller Conference Center – Ask for Petit Jean Group Fly-In #46321
These are really nice!
Rockefeller Center

If the weather favors us, it should be a large weekend !

Got the Grin :)
Bill S

Looks like I won't be able to make it after all, Bill. Maybe next year in the completed RV instead of a Cessna... Hope everyone has a great time!

Oh, and Dan, I'll gladly bring you a bottle of the finest single malt for some 'glass education!

I'm planning on coming if the weather permits, but won't be able to get there until sometime Saturday afternoon. Our local airport's annual big event is always held the 1st weekend after Halloween (kinda involves pumpkins :p ) and I'm required to attend that as I'm part of the main crew. It raps up around noontime so I can leave for Arkansas then. Save me a parking space and a place set up a small tent. One of the other local RV'ers might be flying up in his RV-4 too if he can talk his wife into it.

Speaking of single malts... I've got a new unopened bottle of Laphroaig I'll bring. A good Islay malt is always fun to introduce to someone who's not familiar with these malts :D

Hope the weather gods smile favorably upon Petit Jean! Laura and I will be there if the weather is good!

Peter K
9A-415 hrs

Single Malt...

Well now that is MY language! I will certainly have a few bottles to share with everyone. Can't wait for another great Fly-in...

Speaking of single malts... I've got a new unopened bottle of Laphroaig I'll bring. A good Islay malt is always fun to introduce to someone who's not familiar with these malts :D

I'll probably leave the Laphroaig at home... I tried some Ardbeg Uigeadail last night, and I've now got a new standard to compare all other peated Islay malts against. Gonna pick up another bottle especially for this trip.

You guys got me all fired up to try a single malt Scotch. I went out and bought a bottle of Ardbeg 10 year old Scotch today. Couldn't wait to get home and try some over ice. OMG! that stuff smells like betadine solution and creosote. How much of this do I have to drink before I start to like it? :eek::D

Whiskey

You guys got me all fired up to try a single malt Scotch. I went out and bought a bottle of Ardbeg 10 year old Scotch today. Couldn't wait to get home and try some over ice. OMG! that stuff smells like betadine solution and creosote. How much of this do I have to drink before I start to like it? :eek::D

Try a little Irish---try some Jamison. You'll throw that creosote back on the railroad crossties where they scraped it from.

OMG! that stuff smells like betadine solution and creosote. How much of this do I have to drink before I start to like it? :eek::D

Ha! And I thought it was just me that didn't like scotch... I've got a bottle of 35 year (from 1967!) The Macallan from my Dad's collection. I've been told it's really good stuff, but to me it's like drinking pure gasoline. Nasty. I just never developed a taste for hard liquor; now beer, on the other hand... bring on the craft/microbrews, I'll try 'em all!

Saturday morning Excursion

Saturday some of you could fly up to Grove, Oklahoma and observe or participate in the Ozark-Grove Air Race and be back in Petit Jean for late lunch or dinner.

Bob Axsom

Couldn't wait to get home and try some over ice. OMG! that stuff smells like betadine solution and creosote. How much of this do I have to drink before I start to like it? :eek::D

Ice totally ruins a good Islay peated malt. Even adding more than a tiny bit of water will drown it and make it taste like drinking burned dirt mixed with iodine. I never add more than 1/8 to 1/4 of a teaspoon of water to a "dram" of scotch. You really need to drink it neat, at room temperature, and take very small sips holding it in your mouth for a long time before swallowing it. Once the alcohol burn subsides (surprisingly very quickly for the Ardbeg Uigeadail despite being 54.2% ABV, dunno about Ardbeg 10 but Laphroiag 10 burns for a while), the real flavors come out. The Islay malts like Laphroiag, Lagavulin and Ardbeg can be quite overpowering for someone who's new at the art. A good "beginner's" smoky peated malt is Highland Park 12 or 18.

Yes, iodine is the other not so suttle flavor I tasted. It's a little early at 6:00 in the morning but I'll try it again tonight sans ice. Hey, I'm no quitter! :)

Jim,

I will bring you some Oban, it's what got me started liking Scotch. The good news is that there will be all sorts of different ones to try...and after a few drinks of each you will love them all ;-)

You coming to the 732 meeting at WW today at 2?

Back