VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV Building Tips/Techniques (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Tip: Alternative Metal Wing Stands (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=5058)

RudiGreyling 01-11-2006 07:07 AM

Tip: Alternative Metal Wing Stands

Hi RVators,

I had a lot of queries on my alternative wing metal wing stands. It is not a replacement for Van's design, just an alternative. I just had to make a set of stands that did not have to be supported on the top i.e. the ceiling because my garage door needs to open. The idea is not new, I used a lot of ideas out there and consolidate it and simply created it. These stands are made out of 2x4 steel post welded to 2x2 steel angle feet and bolted to the floor. The horisontal arm is adjustable on a threaded rod to level out after mounting the posts on the floor. Check your Van's drawings for mounting the wing and the distance between the posts. Good Luck!

PS: the website has changed it is now www.RudiGreyling.com

Additional High Resolution pictures can be seen on my website http://www.rudigreyling.com/rv7.htm Just click on the TIPS section on the left and follow the link to the wing stands.

Please ask any question in THIS post in order to keep the information together for guys coming after us. If need be I will update the above drawing with revisions, if something is unclear, so that the latest drawing is always on top.

Kind Regards
Rudi

JohnR 01-11-2006 08:01 AM

Very nice Rudi. What size of threaded rod did you use?

jcoloccia 01-11-2006 08:11 AM

Okay....now THAT's nice work :)

cjensen 01-11-2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcoloccia
Okay....now THAT's nice work :)

my sentiments exactly! nicely done rudi!

RudiGreyling 01-11-2006 09:12 AM

Thanks guys...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR
Very nice Rudi. What size of threaded rod did you use?

I used 10mm rods (South Africa being a metric country), but you can use anything that is readily avialable to you in the +/- 0.375" range and seem sturdy enough to you.

cjensen 01-11-2006 09:34 AM

i used 1 foot long 3/8-16 threaded rod.

Chofrock 01-11-2006 10:38 AM

I have been looking at these, and wondering if it can be done without the welding (since I do not know how to weld). Instead of welding on the bottom angle backets, couldn't they just be bolted on with a couple of bolts?

RudiGreyling 01-12-2006 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chofrock
I have been looking at these, and wondering if it can be done without the welding (since I do not know how to weld). Instead of welding on the bottom angle backets, couldn't they just be bolted on with a couple of bolts?

I'm sure if you make 100% sure you do not have any play between the angle feet and the post you might be able do it with bolts. You do not want any relative movement once the posts are bolted down. Once you start riveting you are going to exert force on that joint and you do not want movement, cause that will create wing twist. To be safe rather weld it, you do not have to be a professional welder. Just ask a buddy that can weld to help you, it will take him less than 15 minutes to do it, if everything is cut to length and deburred. It is not super critical to have the post absolutely perpendicular, since your floor most probably also have variations. You will use the arms to get it 100% level and aligned.

Regards,
Rudi

jcoloccia 01-12-2006 08:38 AM

Quote:

You could always make the flange on the feet a little bit taller and rivet them on :) I'm thinking 5 or 6 AN4 rivets on each side will hold it pretty steady. On the other hand, don't you want an excuse to go to Home Depot and buy a welder?

cjensen 01-12-2006 01:09 PM

i don't have a clue how to weld, so i had a welding shop do it for me. $35 in labor was pretty fair i thought!