VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV-12/RV-12iS (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   RV-12: Engine Mounting Cap Screws Inspection (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=65020)

MartySantic 11-29-2010 11:13 AM

Added one more image to Gary's top shroud modification posted in this thread a few days ago. He added a lower nutplate. This nutplate along with the others have to be positioned to miss the fins.

There is a downside to his modification. To remove the cover to access the screws, the mainfold has to removed, you have to drain a bit of the coolant and the one water hose has to be removed.

JBPILOT 11-29-2010 11:29 AM

Possible different design - -

I like Gary's basic design. I might suggest puting a small alum plate UNDER the forward part of the patch as well as on top, and pop rivet the pieces to the patch. This could allow the front edge to be slipped over the forward piece, and use a screw similar to Gary's design at the rear. This would not require removing the coolant hose. If I have any reason to go back into mine again, I think I will do it that way to make it quick to remove the patch if desired without removing the hose and associated parts.

John Bender

jersey 11-29-2010 12:11 PM

Good Idea

Good idea John. Where were you last weekend. Im going to modify that piece per your suggestions next time I go in.

Marty have you done anything yet?

Gary

MartySantic 11-29-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jersey (Post 489051)
Good idea John. Where were you last weekend. Im going to modify that piece per your suggestions next time I go in.

Marty have you done anything yet?

Gary

Have not done anything, yet. Stuck at home on home project. I like John's idea. Sounds very workable. And removes one disadvantage.

Gary, what would then have to be removed to access the one lower screw? The carb? The carb drip tray? Anything else?

Tony_T 11-29-2010 03:35 PM

Washers...

Received some Nord-Loc washers from McMasters today. Planning to take them to the hangar tomorrow to see if they will fit in the holes. They measure 0.65" in diameter vs. 0.633 for the furnished split washers. Your can see in this picture they are slightly larger than the bolt head. If need be they can be slightly reduced in diameter.

I am planning to use the Nord-Locs, with no Locktite, and see how they work out. This will allow putting a torque wrench on the bolts every 25 hours, like the Nord-Loced prop bolts.
Still have work to do, need to make the shroud modification, I like Gary's removeable cap, with John's mod. That will allow getting on the upper left bolt with a standard allen socket rather than a ball-end key, which I don't trust.

Tony

BigJohn 11-29-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jersey (Post 487641)
Cut a section of the cowl out to access the upper left. Gary

Gary,

What tool/technique did you use to make that nice neat cutout?

John

Jamesey 11-29-2010 05:00 PM

Not There Yet

From the guys that have the problem, any sugestions for those who have not got to this stage? What would you have done during construction had you known the problem?

JBPILOT 11-29-2010 05:17 PM

Hey Jim - -

Add Loctite BLUE generously to the 4 bolts. Made a removable cap for that corner of the air duct. That is about it.

John Bender

Tony_T 11-29-2010 06:50 PM

Stay tuned...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesey (Post 489143)
From the guys that have the problem, any sugestions for those who have not got to this stage? What would you have done during construction had you known the problem?

So far, there are a several unproven (and unofficial) ideas. Nothing is for sure yet, but the body of knowledge is increasing rapidly.

Tony

Peterk 11-29-2010 09:33 PM

Unfortunately

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesey (Post 489143)

Unfortunately you cannot do anything during construction or you are signing a fraudulent compliance statement at the end. So far, Van's has authorized changing the shroud which will be repeated soon in a revision to that page in your construction manual. These changes you read about are legal because they are made AFTER the fly-off period. With this aircraft, everything must be done as directed BEFORE the aircraft is completed. I would be very careful about making changes beforehand...you could end up with a large yard ornament.