What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What happen to this cotter pin?

AX-O

Well Known Member
I went flying again yesterday and during my preflight I found this. It was not there before the previous flight. no signs of hitting anything. Any ideas on what could had caused this? I was thinking a rope but I have not been around any ropes. BTW, that is a DJM 4 inch wheel. Love it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Pin

That's why I don't like cotter pins in exposed locations such as that. I much prefer the best quality all metal lock nuts. I modified my tailwheel so that I have a much smaller bolt and nut "countersunk" into the tubular axle. It only took me a few hours on a lathe with a couple of custom tools. I'm quite sure I gained at least .0001 knots speed.
I'd offer to post a picture but its a top secret design.

Obvious problem Axel. Happens to me all the time. Your new airplane is so fast that the shockwave from the leading edge of the tire bends the key.

That's why I don't like cotter pins in exposed locations such as that. I much prefer the best quality all metal lock nuts.

+1. Just installed that tailwheel last week....new bolt, high quality metal locknut. Added some spacers on the outside to mate with my towbar. Probably lost 0.0001 knots ;)

But hey, if that fix don't suit 'ya, turn the bolt 180 degrees so the cotter pin ears blow back in the breeze.

Last edited:
I have seen tall grass cause this.

It is the reason that I use the alternate method of finishing cotter pins when installed in an exposed location (rudder cable ends, etc.)

Alt method is was detailed in a recent Sport Aviation article.

Or might it have been damaged by a tow bar?
Someone catching their shoe on it?

I have seen tall grass cause this.

It is the reason that I use the alternate method of finishing cotter pins when installed in an exposed location (rudder cable ends, etc.)

Alt method is was detailed in a recent Sport Aviation article.

Or might it have been damaged by a tow bar?
Someone catching their shoe on it?

No tow bar. Will look up the article. Thanks

The only reason to use a cotter pin there is if there is not a solid spacer between the bearings. The nut then is used to adjust the tension so you dont preload the bearings. If it's solid, use a lock nut and smoke it down.

When you install the Cotter pin next time turn it 90 deg . Bend the ends around the outside of the nut a tuck them into the slots either side of the slot in the nut where the pin exits . This method is often used inside places where you can get scraped or cut. You may need a slightly longer cotter pin to make the bend into the slots.

Without the sharp tag ends exposed they are not likely to catch anything.

There was a article in sport aviation recently, showing just how to do it.

The only reason to use a cotter pin there is if there is not a solid spacer between the bearings. The nut then is used to adjust the tension so you dont preload the bearings. If it's solid, use a lock nut and smoke it down.
Thanks Michael-I'm thinking that the stock Van's tailwheel might not have the solid spacer. I'll have to check.

the darndest things happen

the darndest things seem to happen and trying to explain how sometimes is almost futile. On a few occasions the steel clips which attach the steering chain to the rudder horn would come off. How in the dickens does that happen (I know it flipped around but how) I ended up using safety wire to keep them from coming off (has been good for 15years)....the darndest thing!:confused:

DJM 4"

DJM 4" Wheel ?? Very Light Weight ! Cool , can you hear it Zing on Landing ? :D
I looked at that but chickened out and bought the 6" . Darn !

Cotter Pin

I also have a DJM tailwheel and love it, just seems to taxi smoother and easier. As far as the cotter pin, have never seen that before. Ran across an article in a flying magazine about cotter pins, see picture below. This method should keep your pin secure.

Oly

15i55xe.jpg
[/IMG]

I had this happen on my RV-4 rudder pedals, except the bolt fell out and I had no rudder or brakes on that side. Fortunately I found this before engine start.

Back