What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone Fairings w/o removing rudder/stabilator?

rileyspoon

I've already attached my rudder and stabilator and all the antiservo hardware but it looks like the assembly instructions for the fairings requires all that to be removed. Has anyone done this step without removing the rudder and stabilator?

I'm pretty sure my initial marking of the tail cone fitting was done with the tail feathers off. Then at some point they were installed because I do remember doing the drilling for the nutplate screw and rivet holes with the tail feathers on.

Sixth photo in this blog post:
http://www.dogaviation.com/2015/06/preparing-tail-feathers-for-final.html

Beginning with the third photo in this post:
http://www.dogaviation.com/2016/03/com-antenna-short-wire-issue-resolved.html

Hope that helps .... happy building.

read ahead or be darned

I remember being so happy when finished with Section 11 (all the tail & trim installed) - only to see the NOTE at the very start of Section 12:

Begin this section with the V-Stab, Rudder, Trim/Servo and Stabilator Assemblies
removed from the Tailcone Assembly.

So I did take them all back off to build the the tailcone fairing assembly.
It gets somewhat easier to re-install the stabilator after learning from a few sessions of trial & error.

Yes but not recommended

As I recall there is enough wprk to be done fitting and installing the tail feathers that you need good visibility into that area without the cowlings in the way. The reverse is true when you fit and fiddle with the cowlings. Doable but a pain with the stabilator in place. Might as well get good at removing and installing all of those items.
BTW, you have the upgraded Trim Actuator installed I hope.

I've already attached my rudder and stabilator and all the antiservo hardware but it looks like the assembly instructions for the fairings requires all that to be removed. Has anyone done this step without removing the rudder and stabilator?

I did it with the stabilator and rudder on (see my blog) then bragged that I was going to fly the airplane after having installed the stabilator only one time. When the time came to move the project from NC to Colorado, it wouldn't fit in the 18-wheeler with the stab on! Had to remove it, necessitating a re-do of the cable tensioning (an odious task).

Jerre
jerre-hill.blogspot.com

I put my rudder and stab on and did not remove them again until it had to be painted about 50 hours after first flight.

Back