What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Know a laser cutting service?

jwyatt

Well Known Member
I'd like to have a bracket cut in 4130 steel from a CAD file, but the quotes from local shops for a simple piece of 5x9 overall size are silly high; I think they prefer volume work so they've priced the one-off jobs out of the shop. Fine; have any other builders found a shop or service somewhere that will do a quick job for a reasonable fee?

I have used superior cutting many times in the past.

We now have a local place near Cincinnati that is doing my work for that.

I'd like to have a bracket cut in 4130 steel from a CAD file, but the quotes from local shops for a simple piece of 5x9 overall size are silly high; I think they prefer volume work so they've priced the one-off jobs out of the shop. Fine; have any other builders found a shop or service somewhere that will do a quick job for a reasonable fee?

what sort of silly fee are they quoting? There is one in Hugo which just cut my panel last year, I thought they were reasonable.

http://www.micramanufacturing.com/

Laser cutting

Jay, another option, you might also look around the DFW area for someone that does water jet cutting.

what sort of silly fee are they quoting? There is one in Hugo which just cut my panel last year, I thought they were reasonable.

http://www.micramanufacturing.com/

Thanks, I'll give them a shout. So far I've been quoted between $190 and $280 for one piece. It's a custom throttle cable bracket. If I want 5 or 10, they'll come down by 80%... but I can spend lots of quality time with the drill press and hacksaw for $200.

Thanks, I'll give them a shout. So far I've been quoted between $190 and $280 for one piece. It's a custom throttle cable bracket. If I want 5 or 10, they'll come down by 80%... but I can spend lots of quality time with the drill press and hacksaw for $200.

Cutting the pieces out is the last 20% of a job. Your paying for the programming, machine setup (and possibly the tear down and reset of the bigger job they have on the machine) , material handling, consumables, etc. Unless it can't be done with hand tools, it rarely makes $$$ sense to laser 1-2 small parts. That said, as mentioned, small water jet machines are much cheaper and simpler, many shops have small ones. Thats the shop that will probably be the cheapest for you, but I doubt anyone will even turn on the machine for under $100.

I have used BK Customs in Riverside, CA several times for making parts for my business. They have always given me good pricing and great turnaround. Try finding someone to cut slots in 0.5 inch thick tungsten plates sometime. One of the guys there is building an RV at KRIV and understands our requirements. Send them a .dxf of your part.

BK Customs
http://bkcustoms.com/

(951) 530-1527

3082 Franklin Ave, Riverside, CA 92507

- Larosta

I used EmachineShop for my panel and several other odd jobs I've done. Super fast turnaround and I have no complaints. Figure anything in aluminum will be a minimum of $100 and I don't think my panel was much more. If you are looking for multiple ops like drilling, surfacing, or forming, the charges go up quickly.

Laser

We charge $30 set up , $2 per min cut time ,$65 min . It's a $1,000,000 tool , each time it goes down it a $15,000 service call .

I know this doesn't really help you since its outside of the US. But I had the same problem a while ago and what I found is that the only guys that will do panel for about 100 or less with a laser are "online" shops that are fully automated. Meaning you don't deal with a person but with some sort of Program/applet that will either directly draw your panel there or upload a file to it. It tells you the price right away. Every other place that involves a person dealing with me and my file wanted 300 and up. They are out there I found one here that works great! done 2 panels so far. Worked flawlessly. When you find one be sure to check to what tolerances they work with.

What thickness?

There is a regular advertiser in the Replica Fighters magazine that does brackets and other steel parts. IIRC they do one-offs and prototypes. I don't have a old copy of the mag but you should be able to get their contact info from the RFA http://www.replicafighters.com

Post up the design, show others how it could benefit them, and then have 10 made. Then sell them to others who see how it could benefit them.

A little more work with some packing and mailing, but in the end you could have your bracket for free.

Back