What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying the SkyView Autopilot

Dgamble

Well Known Member
This is a short video showing where I am in the learning curve that comes with using the Complex Menu on the SkyView autopilot:

https://youtu.be/Hptezp1sEN0

There are likely to be things I'm doing that are either not entirely correct, or not as efficient as could be, or both. With that in mind, I don't suggest using this video as a replacement for reading the SkyView User Guide.

I have a blog page set up to host this video, so feel free to go there and post suggestions/corrections in the comments. I'll update the post accordingly.

http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com/2015/08/the-art-of-push-button-flying.html

Last edited:
That was fantastic Dave, I sure appreciate you making and sharing this with us. I had been looking for just such a post.

Thanks Dave. Far more informative than the Dynon videos I have watched. I have about 40 hrs. on my 2nd 12 and it has S/V so I have figured out most of what you covered. Have you considered doing a video on flight planning? I am still trying to tame the f/p beast. Dynon should put you on the payroll! Excellent delivery also.

Thanks Dave

Dave, thanks for taking the time to make the AP video and posting it as an aid for fellow Skyview users. Really good stuff! You have diminished the learning curve for those of us that will soon be in the air with the AP and knobs panel add on.

Awesome video! It makes my decision to load up the panel even more justified.

It was great seeing the local airports used as well. My brother used to live in Versailles and I went over to the airport several times. Now he's in Troy. Do you ever get in there? BTW, I can't blame you about the Ohio winters. I escaped at an early age...

Thanks,

Bob

I have an SLSA with Skyview Touch, Knobs and Autopilot. How can I add auto trim to the thing as has been done in the uTube below?

EBB

I have an SLSA with Skyview Touch, Knobs and Autopilot. How can I add auto trim to the thing as has been done in the uTube below?

EBB
My understanding is that currently the only way to get autotrim is with the optional 'buttons' panel. It seems odd that Dynon hasn't developed a solution for that along the lines of a small box that provides just the autotrim function for the Touch. I could see something like that selling pretty well.

Awesome video! It makes my decision to load up the panel even more justified.

It was great seeing the local airports used as well. My brother used to live in Versailles and I went over to the airport several times. Now he's in Troy. Do you ever get in there? BTW, I can't blame you about the Ohio winters. I escaped at an early age...

Thanks,

Bob
I've been hoping to fly into Troy to visit the Waco museum, but just haven't seemed to ever get around to it. I'm in and out of VES dozens of times a year. It's a nice place.

Thanks Dave. Far more informative than the Dynon videos I have watched. I have about 40 hrs. on my 2nd 12 and it has S/V so I have figured out most of what you covered. Have you considered doing a video on flight planning? I am still trying to tame the f/p beast. Dynon should put you on the payroll! Excellent delivery also.
Yes, I'm already thinking about doing one that includes entering a flight plan. The first one was done pretty much (well, totally) on a whim, so production values might be slightly better in the next one too.

I've been sticking with the simplified AP setting because of the learning curve for the flight director and complex mode setting. This video takes some of the mystery out of the equation. I think the AP and Buttons units will end up on my panel at some point in the future. I like the autotrim capability. Thanks!

I think my D-180, D-100, 796, & GDL39 Combo works just fine. :D
Maybe in 10 years Ill upgrade to the Skyview III and leave you guys in the Dust.:eek:

C5E78693-0EF1-4129-8017-D232EEA7F99C_zpsg3s66xsk.jpg

Back