What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (12/5/2020 - 12/6/2020)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...I flew over to KXBP and got gas <g>. Practiced steep turn on the way back - one 360 left....one right. Beautiful Wx in N.Texas this weekend.

v/r,dr

Went for a sunset flight in the -10 last evening:

Attachments

• IMG_2045.jpg
    IMG_2045.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 346
Flew down to JWY for Airplanes and Coffee. They tied in a Toys for Tots run and everyone helped the bins to overflow with gifts. How fun!

For those in and around Texas, stay tuned for the next one. They try and do one / month. About 30 aircraft total with lots of RVs including some formation passes.

https://www.facebook.com/events/402524000894363

Yesterday, the condition inspection tasks on my RV were completed.

Today, I departed early and headed down to Gillespie Field (KSEE) to meet with another RV'er. After a few hours, I then headed up to Chino (KCNO) to meet up with another pilot friend, and see his airplane and chat for a while. A few more hours, and flew back to the hangar. Nice approach back into home, where the AOA tones began just as I started the flare, and the solid tone occurred just as the wheels touched down. Nose wheel touchdown at 30 knots, and taxied to the hangar. I must say, despite having 8,000 hours and flying for a living, a well executed approach and landing is still satisfying (and a screwed up one is still frustrating!)

Really enjoyed the day flying, but especially so because of the upgrades that the plane has, namely the AFS panel. There were several fire TFRs in place today, but thanks to the AFS panel with ADS-B in TFR overlays, navigating around them is a cinch.. almost pleasant. Made even easier by using ForeFlight Mobile to send a flight plan that avoids the TFRs to the AFS internal flight plan, and the Garmin GNC 355.

Today Jeana suggested that we go fly for a late lunch, so we did! Left home and headed to Montgomery Field (KMYF) to enjoy lunch. I am glad that we did too, since restaurants close here for 3+ weeks starting tomorrow, due to Covid. So, it's nice to support the businesses while we can.

While eating lunch, Jeana asked if we could fly over downtown, so we did. I figured since we were so close I'd stop at Brown Field (KSDM) to get some fairly inexpensive fuel ($3.49). Now it was 4:30 PM, so it was time to head home..

So, back over downtown San Diego to the hangar, just as the sun was setting. Added bonus was that I got to test out my new Flyleds lights, which I love. The airplane now has flyleds wing nav and strobe, tail strobe, as well as landing and taxi lights. Kind of feels like a flyleds billboard, but I'm hard to miss...

Attachments

• L18-2.png
    L18-2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 327
  • L18-1.png
    L18-1.png
    1 MB · Views: 310
  • L18-3.png
    L18-3.png
    939.4 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_9693.jpg
    IMG_9693.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_9695.jpg
    IMG_9695.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 286
finished up today with 2.4 hours of RV rides. Super fun to use a great airplane for GA intro, but feel terrible for the first piper CFI who has to pick up where the RV left off.

Opened up my cowl for the first time since I bought the airplane to try and look for the source of what I think is a very small oil leak. I haven't dropped the lower cowl yet to trace further but getting in there with the eyeball and the endoscope makes me think it's coming from the prop governor. Will know more in the next day or so - ran out of time to keep looking.

Attachments

• IMG_1966.jpg
    IMG_1966.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 445
Night Flight

I got night current with three airports, landings/TO and RNAV approaches(VFR). Sorry no pictures, but a bit of high clouds and not much to see. First night flight since paint and discovered the shop did an excellent job on the landing light aiming. The Baja Sport lights with half dispersion/half clear lenses are fantastic. orienting the dispersion lens for a vertical dispersion seems to work well on the pilot side.

St. Louis, Gateway Arch

Flew southeast of St. Louis, then turned northwest and followed the river north to fly by the arch. Great day for this.

Attachments

• ArchStLScaled.jpg
    ArchStLScaled.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 303
I flew my RV-3 to breakfast on both Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. The second picture was taken by a friend's wife from their Bonanza. I was running a little late for breakfast and they were coming home while I was headed towards the restaurant. I saw them on ADSB and intercepted them. We chatted back and forth and he asked me to snuggle up so his wife could take a pic.

The first pic is from today and I just thought it was cool. I live at a residential airpark and we've had a bit of petty crime lately. I recently installed a few security cameras for an added layer of security. My Ramp-Cam caught me headed to lunch in the RV-3.

Attachments

• IMG_1235.JPG
    IMG_1235.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 390
Leak

Bill,
Not saying this is your problem with the leak, but your hard line to the governor has a kink in it just above the red arrow. If its not cracked it could later and should be replaced. It could be a slight restriction in flow as well. Might want to take a closer look.
Ryan

Bill,
Not saying this is your problem with the leak, but your hard line to the governor has a kink in it just above the red arrow. If its not cracked it could later and should be replaced. It could be a slight restriction in flow as well. Might want to take a closer look.
Ryan

I'll do that. Thanks!

Similar leak

Opened up my cowl for the first time since I bought the airplane to try and look for the source of what I think is a very small oil leak. I haven't dropped the lower cowl yet to trace further but getting in there with the eyeball and the endoscope makes me think it's coming from the prop governor. Will know more in the next day or so - ran out of time to keep looking.

Bill,
I had a nagging source of a leak that began looking like yours about 6 months ago.
Turned out to be the line running to the prop from the prop governor.
Hard to see but it was on the engine side.
Strangely, it was caused from chafing. Didn't think that was possible through stainless steel (wrong).
Had TS Flightlines make up a beautiful and firesleeved line.
Fixed.

Happy Landings,
Daddyman

Changed the oil

And flew the local area. It was a beautiful day. No photos sadly. Will get some next time.

Geoff

Back