What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thunderbolt vs. Standard IO-390

MalteJ

Hey guys,

I am looking for some detail pictures that show the differences between the Thunderbolt IO-390-EXP119 and the standard Lycoming YIO-390-A3B6.
The different air intake, fuel system etc.
Also I would like to know how does the RV-14's lower cowling differ between both versions?

Do you have some pictures?

Thanks a lot!

Malte

The new cowl's air exits are the two fairings around the tailpipes, and a variable area door in a cover over what was formerly an open tunnel.

The intake changes are a revised fiberglass snorkel, an AFP FM200 injection, and the 390 C/D model's intake manifold, which has a larger inlet bore compared to the traditional integral plenum sump.

Attachments

• Cowl Off with Variable Exit.jpg
    Cowl Off with Variable Exit.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 443
  • New Lower Cowl and Tunnel Cover.jpg
    New Lower Cowl and Tunnel Cover.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 382
Hey guys,

Thunderbolt IO-390-EXP119 and the standard Lycoming YIO-390-A3B6.

Malte

Not sure it matters, but you can also get the new EXP119 in the NON Thunderbolt version (standard Lycoming). My buddy has it in the 14a.

There are quite a few changes. The Oil cooler is a bit changed. The Air intake is redesigned and also the the throttle body is now from Air Flow Performance. It's the gold looking thing on Dans picture.

The exhaust is different, hence the bottom cowl must be because of the new exhaust pipes.
The RV14a now has a cowl flap in the tunnel where the original exhaust was...

Based on the performance numbers. The difference is Huge!

Last edited:
Back