What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Tachometer Specs

ksouthar

Well Known Member
Looking for technical details for the tach generator used to drive the Van's Tach. Not much information on the device itself - a paper label that says only "8 pulses per revolution". No other information on manufacturer, etc.

I am halfway through the installation of an MGL Avionics MAP-1 combination tach/manifold pressure gauge (although I a fixed pitch prop). Since I am headed towards the installation of P-Mags (which need manifold pressure), I thought, what the hey, I'll just add the gauge too. Bad plan....... at least so far.

The MGL manual is misleading in that it has a "mag check" feature. Unfortunately, it won't take an input from two different sources. So, the mag check is useless unless you only want to check the drop on the one mag you have connected to the gauge.

Next thought is perhaps to take the signal off the Tach Generator. It is engine driven and not tied to either mag. Just need to find out if I can use it as a source.

A separate manifold pressure gauge isn't really an option. Panel is already packed and no room for one more gauge - hence the combination gauge which seemed a good plan until reality set in.

Keith
N355RV
RV9-A

Back