VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV-6/6A (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Show us a picture of your FINISHED RV-6/6A! (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=1511)

jsharkey 10-12-2008 03:54 PM

It's one of the last 6 empenage kits. It has the original 7 rudder which is a bit taller than the old six's and has a balance horn. I believe it is common with the 8. 7s now come with an even taller rudder with a riveted trailing edge and I believe that it is common with the 9. Van's believes more in evolution than revolution - until the 12 came along.

My aeroplane has the laminated bar wing spar caps, slightly taller seat floor than the 7 and smaller gap between the panel and sub-panel than the 7. FWF it is per the 7 plans with the fuel pump between the pedals and the battery and relays on the RH firewall. The only prepunched holes were on some of the empenage and wing skins and everything was built in a jig.

I think I have the pedigree right but would be happy to be corrected.

Jim Sharkey

RV6 Spartanburg, S.C. 12-02-2008 08:16 AM

After 14 years I'm flying

After fourteen years I?m flying and have 67 hours on N316CZ.
My home base is SC72 Greer, S.C.
RV-6 took fourteen years to build but it was worth it!
TMX IO360 AFP fuel injections
See photo link below.

http://flightaware.com/photos/aircraft/N316CZ

http://www.grtavionics.com/PhotoGallery.aspx?id=3

:)

flion 12-02-2008 10:44 AM

Congratulations. As another long-term builder who just finished, I congratulate you and join you in sticking our tongues out at all the quick builders out there! :p

;) Enjoy your aircraft, you've worked long and hard for it.

Frank Smidler 12-06-2008 11:51 AM

N96FS ready to fly in IN

I finally finished my RV-6 after 14-1/2 years of building. On November 20, 2008 DAR Tony Cecere inspected and signed it off I will make my first flight after transition training with Alex this week.

I kept it simple and light. Empty weight is 1009 lbs. It has a rebuilt 0-360-A1A Lycoming with Sterba 70/82 wood prop, new carb, plane power alternator, new slick mags and was upgraded to the RV-7 FWF kit.

The panel is simple VFR/Day/Night. I have an older Advance Grand Rapids EIS, Icom I200A, Garmin 320A transponder and PS3000 intercom. The seats are Flight Line, no carpet (yet), no side panels, CH stick grips and electric flaps

NYTOM 12-06-2008 02:37 PM

Congratulations Frank

I think you achieved exactly what Van had in mind when he designed the six.
It's refreshing to see a panel which isn't worth more than the whole kit.;) How did you resist all that "panel candy" out there? :eek:
I notice you have what appears to be defrosters on the top of the panel. That's a great idea. Thanks for the inspiration. Nice clean looking plane. Have fun and fly safe.:)

Bob Axsom 12-06-2008 09:45 PM

Racing Evolved

You should be able to detect some differences between this and the earlier photo in this thread - especially wing tips and wheel subfairings.

Bob Axsom

Frank Smidler 12-06-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYTOM (Post 278522)
I think you achieved exactly what Van had in mind when he designed the six.
It's refreshing to see a panel which isn't worth more than the whole kit.;) How did you resist all that "panel candy" out there? :eek:
I notice you have what appears to be defrosters on the top of the panel. That's a great idea. Thanks for the inspiration. Nice clean looking plane. Have fun and fly safe.:)

It was easy to resist the "panel candy". 1. I looked at the simple panels in Van's planes and they flew them across the country to Sun'n Fun and OSH every year. 2. Most of the new electronics were not availabel when I started designing my panel many years ago. 3. I am a low time pilot who would probable not get the full use out of a more elaberate panel. 4. After 14.5 years I decided to keep it simple and the cost down so I could finally finish and get to flying. 5. I figured as I fly I will determine what else I would like to have and can add it later.

Yes I do have two large computer cooling fans for defrost. I did not put in any ducting, I figured heated air would rise under the panel to the fans. In a short taxi test with two of us fogging up the canopy it work well. Don't know what it will do in flight.

N8RV 12-08-2008 07:04 AM

Congrats, Frank! Light and simple -- Van will probably kiss you. :D

Good luck with your training and first flights. Keep us all updated on your progress. I'm not too far behind you ... heheh ...

L.Adamson 12-08-2008 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Smidler (Post 278643)
It was easy to resist the "panel candy". 1. I looked at the simple panels in Van's planes and they flew them across the country to Sun'n Fun and OSH every year.

It doesn't hurt to have some kind of attitude indication for inadvertant IMC, even if it's a panel page that's available with some of today's handheld GPS units.

I'm saying this, because one of Van's simple panels did in fact, run into serious and un-planned IMC problems while on a cross-country back in 2000.

edit: And if that's a panel dock for a Garmin 296/396/496 .......then great! , as it's got the panel page! It's a bit hard to tell in the pic.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Frank Smidler 12-08-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

It doesn't hurt to have some kind of attitude indication for inadvertant IMC, even if it's a panel page that's available with some of today's handheld GPS units.

And if that's a panel dock for a Garmin 296/396/496 .......then great! , as it's got the panel page! It's a bit hard to tell in the pic.
Yes, that is a Garmin GPS docking station for the x96 series. I also plan to eventually place in the center instrument hole, where the slip ball is now, a TruTrak ADI autopilot.