What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque Seal solvent ?

rodfreed

I'm New Here
Is there a solvent that will remove torque seal ?
Let's say someone torqued a few bolts to the wrong value and needs to redo them. Asking for a friend.

Just me

I always found the torque seal is brittle enough to where it will poop off with a little coaxing. If you must, one can use a pair for dikes (diagonal cutters) to remove the torque seal. YMMV

I break it or use a brass brush to erode it.

Laquer thinner will work to re-dissolve it, to your question. I inject some in the tubes to keep liquid.

You can use an exacto knife to get rid of most of the torque seal and then I use lacquer thinner to clean up any of the remaining.

Also clean the area. Torque seal might look unbroken only to be rotating with the nut and “sliding” along her surface as it lost it adhesion. Belt and suspenders would be permanent marker as well, that will catch a rotating bolt/nut assembly.

put a wrench on it

Also clean the area. Torque seal might look unbroken only to be rotating with the nut and “sliding” along her surface as it lost it adhesion. Belt and suspenders would be permanent marker as well, that will catch a rotating bolt/nut assembly.

Some guys on this forum far smarter and better-looking than me reminded me recently that torque seal can't be relied upon to confirm a bolt is still tight or has not moved. In their immortal words, put a wrench on every nut and bolt you can when you are doing an inspection.

Some guys on this forum far smarter and better-looking than me reminded me recently that torque seal can't be relied upon to confirm a bolt is still tight or has not moved. In their immortal words, put a wrench on every nut and bolt you can when you are doing an inspection.

The term torque seal is really a misnomer. Better term is slippage indicator. And like any warning light, it is not a 100% guarantee that no slippage has occurred.

Back