VAF Forums

VAF Forums (
-   RV-3 (
-   -   Show us the status of your RV-3 project! (

rvaitor87 03-08-2013 01:40 PM

imported and ready to fly
Just a side note: 560hrs on the hobbs,, and I still can't stop the grin:D
Enjoy every minute of it!!

smokyray 03-09-2013 11:17 AM

Already miss it...

Originally Posted by Jumbo (Post 750971)
Again: many thanks Smokey, Ron, Jesse and Brad.

Glad I could help Heinz, sure miss having it around...


Math-N338 03-12-2013 06:25 PM

Welcome to the Club!!!
I hope also that the weather is getting better, to take PH-KLT for a ride!!:D

I can feel your pride to fly a 3, now you can also never stop smiling;)

Always happy Landings!!

Math Rv-3B PH-KLT

dlomheim 04-04-2013 10:20 PM

RV-3 Restoration Update
I finally have pretty much finished up building a new VS for my RV-3 restoration. Just going to add an electric trim and button up the tail and move onto the FWF and cockpit areas!


Hope this link works...

dlomheim 04-21-2013 10:09 PM

RV-3 Electric Trim Finished
I got the electric trim installed finally on my "3" and copied Randy L's great idea from his "unofficial RV-3 headquarters" web site! Simple and functional and a great improvement over the original manual trim that passed through the elevator horn shaft and would bind up with elevator movement. I also got a bent VHF whip antenna installed and will work on getting the xpndr antenna installed next...progress... :)

Doug Lomheim
RV-3 Restoration
OK City, OK

dlomheim 10-15-2013 03:03 PM

RV-3A Restoration
I'm still making slooooow progress on my "3A" restoration, and it seems one thing "fixed" ends up leadng to another item to correct. For instance: I moved the Odyssey battery to the top of the firewall much like I did on my RV-9A, but didn't consider access to the piano hinges that hold the top cowling on. Once I started to work with the top cowling, it quickly became apparent that there would be no way to push and pull the wire so I bought some Skybolt fastners and just got those installed...

Doug Lomheim
OK City, OK
RV-3A / O-290 "G" modified to "D" spec.

dlomheim 10-26-2013 05:25 PM

Trial Fitting RV-3A Piano Wire...ouch!
I really don't like messing with the piano wire that holds the two cowling halves together on my RV-3A. Today I attempted to push the wires all the way in and it was just too tight to work. What kinds of techniques do you all use to make this painful job, less so?

I'm tempted to add skybolts down both sides, but will wait for some of the group's great ideas before I start ordering those in and begin cutting metal!

I've pretty much run out of stuff todo at home on this restoration, so going to try and get it moved to a nice long and wide local airport this week and plub the wings on, etc! Getting closer...

Doug Lomheim
RV-3A Restoration

wilddog 10-27-2013 05:22 AM

The wires on the sides are not a problem on mine, they go in easily until the last 3" that I push with a piece of wood. The ones I would like to change are the two at the top, back of the cowl. Reaching through the oil door to work them is no fun and I plan to replace with something soon. If you keep them, be sure you make your oil door big enough to get your arm through it with the engine and accy. in place.

dlomheim 10-27-2013 07:11 AM

Wilddog...thanks for the suggestion. I grabbed a small block of wood yesterday and was able to push it end to end on both sides. Worked okay with the cowling halves off the airframe, so hopefully will also allow the same result when on it. Click on the url of my "Restoration" update post above. It shows the Skybolts I added to the top cowling due to just the issues you mentioned plus the fact that after I moved my Odyssey battery to the top of my firewall, it viritually made it impossible to get at. Skybolts are so much less painful!

dlomheim 11-04-2013 10:08 PM

Plugging the Wings in...
Started plugging my wings on the RV-3 and hope to start doing some taxi testing this weekend...

Doug Lomheim
RV-3 nearing a first flight (for me)

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:27 PM.