What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cost of Clones and Alternative engines

Rotary10-RV

Well Known Member
Group, I would like to find out some actual prices for engines in the current market. I have a 20B Mazda rotary I plan to install in my RV-10. I am just getting started, and I'm choosing my subsystem parts after taking some time to evaluate prices and engineering on the parts I will buy from outside sources. I plan to accurately track the prices of the pieces and will report what the finished costs are. I offer this as a means of comparison for some of the guys thinking about alternative engine choices. If you have purchased one of the clone engines what were the finished costs FWF ready-to-fly? The price of the prop is an additional inquiry column. Are you running a C/S? Fixed pitch? Wood?
A honest table would be a great help to us all. Where you purchased your engine and the condition at purchase is a good idea as well. We can help each other with this information! Personal info is good if you will be doing a lot of the build yourself. Lastly the flying results with G/HR true air&ground speed if you can get them.

Personal Info
Rotary10-RV
I'm a mechanical engineer/designer working in the central California area. A former race car and bike builder, I will do a good deal of my assembly work myself. So far I'm designing the engine mount and cooling system I will use in SolidWorks. (a computer design program) I am riveting the Empacone of my RV-10 now. Ross you said you might have the stage/loft for the RV-10 you are using on the Subaru convert you are doing, could you post that? The measurements of the firewall mt locations would also be a boon. (SDS ign and inj for the 20B too!)
So far my costs are many hours of computer layout time (free to me so far) amd the purchase of a good 20B core for $2500.00 (This seems to be a great deal and could be my best buy in the entire system) The PSRU needed for my engine will cost between $3000 and $6900.00 depending on if I want a Hyd C/S or not. I'm still contemplating!
Bill Jepson

Bill,

Just finishing the last page in the tailcone manual today then on to whatever is next on my -10. My EG33 Sube core was $100 plus $300 to get it shipped here. I have the Marcotte redrive which was $3400 :(

I have searched far a wide for a suitable prop. Vetsa, Whirlwind likely 1-3 years away with an electric C/S. This leaves MT currently about $10K from them directly. I met Bob Honing at Reno this year from American Propeller and he thinks he can save me a quite a bit on the MT plus they are working on their own line of props which look just beautiful. Maybe have something in an electric in a year or so. I'm therefore waiting a bit on the prop choice. The engine is cheap, the prop and redrive are not but equally important. I will have complete costs on all of it when done.

Have my turbos matched and picked plus many other basic layout details decided. Have an intake manifold fabbed, alternator mount and turbo scavenge pump in hand. Will do a teardown, NDT and inspection on the parts and do a complete rebuild with forged pistons after I finish the mount. If you need some cowling/ firewall dimensions to plan anything, let me know, have measuring tape and level.
After my experiences with cowling mounted rads, I'm heading towards a belly mounted one and have the scoop and the plan. Trying to work with Bill Kay who did a lot of work with Eggenfellner on his rads for my setup but he is a very busy man so I may be on my own there. Once the front and rear fuse parts are joined and my outer wing panel is skinned, I'll have to start on the engine installation details. I'm following this hot tunnel problem with interest. Glad I'm not first.

I'm very interested in your 20B project.

Just a note in this thread to others interested in alternatives to the Lycoming 540 engine in the RV10:

In addition to Bill's 3 rotor Wankel project and my Subaru EG33 twin turbo project, I see Eggenfellner is getting a -10 fuselage soon to start working on an Eaton supercharged H-6 Subaru installation.

Also, Jason Day of Vesta is working on an LS-1 installation along with a suitable propeller for these as well. Not sure about the C of G issue with the V8 though as the front landing gear mount structure on the -10 would seem to preclude moving the engine back very far and the LS-1 is 100 lbs. heavier than my Sube longblock. I'm putting my twin batteries in the back plus my fire bottle and ELT and using a composite prop to shift my C of G aft.

Anyone working on any other engines for the -10 can tell us here. :)

Back