What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New ex-POTUS TFR?

the_other_dougreeves

Well Known Member
A new TFR popped up in the DFW area (thanks to Weathermeister for the quick notice). It's surface to 1500 AGL, 085 radial of the CVE VOR at 4.8 DME, 1 NM radius. It's not a "unless assigned by ATC", it's a total no operations area.

This looks to be in the right spot to be over W's new house. Anyone want to guess to see if it'll be permanent? I'm really hoping not, because this is just about dead on the ADS-DAL route, and 1500 AGL is about 2250MSL. 1NM wide puts it just off the route by a mile maybe, but I don't think I want to chance it. Stray a few degrees off course and bye-bye flying for 90 days (or more) .....

I intend to call the tower chief at ADS and talk it over with him. I'd think that he would have info about it and they kind of owe me a favor (ADS was so busy yesterday, I had to divert onto side ramps 4 times yesterday just to taxi back to my hangar, giving way to opposite direction Cessnas, Gulfstreams, King Airs, etc.).

Let's be careful out there.

TODR

Here's the text of the TFR:

FAA said:
******CAUTION: This TFR Overlay Display System (TODS) is updated Monday - Friday 1200-2000 UTC. CONFIRM DATA CURRENCY THROUGH ALTERNATE SOURCES AT OTHER TIMES. For interpretation of this TFR contact your local FSS.******

!FDC 9/2934 ZFW TX.. FLIGHT RESTRICTION. DALLAS, TEXAS.
PURSUANT TO 49 USC 40103(B), THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION (FAA) CLASSIFIES THE AIRSPACE DEFINED IN THIS NOTAM AS 'NATIONAL DEFENSE AIRSPACE'. ANY PERSON WHO KNOWINGLY OR WILLFULLY VIOLATES THE RULES CONCERNING OPERATIONS IN THIS AIRSPACE MAY BE SUBJECT TO CERTAIN CRIMINAL PENALTIES UNDER 49 USC 46307. PILOTS WHO DO NOT ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES MAY BE INTERCEPTED, DETAINED AND INTERVIEWED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT/SECURITY PERSONNEL.
PURSUANT TO TITLE 14, SECTION 91.141 OF THE CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS, AIRCRAFT FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN THE FOLLOWING AREA(S) UNLESS OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED BY ATC

WITHIN A 1 NMR OF 325321N/0964835W OR THE CVE085004.8 UP TO AND
INCLUDING 1500 FT AGL EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

Here's the text of the TFR:

Yep, I brain farted the "Unless authorized by ATC" portion.

However, the whole thing is pretty funny, since the TFR is in the surface Class B for DAL. I guess this way, if you bust the TFR, you also get busted for not having Class B clearance or deviating from it. If you have clearance, you're Ok to enter the TFR. If you don't, you're busting the Class B as well as the TFR. Tricky, that.

*sigh* Maybe I need to call it a day.....

TODR

I would still be careful....If it is anything like P-49, you need 3 in order to pass though it:

1. Be in communication with ATC
2. Have a discreet squawk code
3. Be on an active flight plan

It is #3 that I think could get most VFR guys in trouble. #'s 1 and 2 normally come with the class B clearance.

I would still be careful....If it is anything like P-49, you need 3 in order to pass though it:

1. Be in communication with ATC
2. Have a discreet squawk code
3. Be on an active flight plan

It is #3 that I think could get most VFR guys in trouble. #'s 1 and 2 normally come with the class B clearance.
I don't think a flight plan is necessary for this TFR - I couldn't find anything about it in the text, but I've been wrong before (see above :)).

TODR

Flew the ADS-DAL-RBD route twice yesterday. On the way down at 2000, I was told to avoid the TFR. The only way I could clearly avoid it was having it displayed on the GPS with the XM data.

On the way back at 2500, I was told to proceed direct from my position (just east of downtown) to ADS, which took be through the TFR. When I then asked about clearance through the TFR, I was just told not to loiter. I was not given explicit clearance to fly through the TFR, much as one gets to enter Class B airspace, even when I explicitly asked whether I was cleared. I have no idea if they are or are not allowed to clear you through the TFR. IIRC, the TFR is to 1500 AGL, which puts it at about to 2200 MSL, so I might not have been in it on the way back.

Given that the "temporary" flight restriction is still there (almost a month), I suspect it will be permanent. It also seems that ATC doesn't entirely know how best to handle it yet. I don't think it's the fault of the controllers, probably somewhere up the food chain. One trip was with ADS tower, one with ADS approach.

Please continue to be careful out there.

TODR

Back