VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV General Discussion/News (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   VAF Forum Search help (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=166986)

rvanstory 12-19-2018 10:45 AM

VAF Forum Search help

I can't find a clear answer to my question about searching the VAF database.

Is there any way to perform a "multi-word" search within the forum? Often times I find the search results for a single word to be overwhelming with so many results, that I'd like to search multiple words or phrases to narrow the results down.

Any insights on if (and how) this can be done?

ppilotmike 12-19-2018 10:55 AM

Randy,

If you go to "Today's Posts," then to "Search Forums" (top left). Just enter the multiple "key words" into the space on the top left of the search box. It will indeed search for all words listed.. Hope this helps.

rv7boy 12-19-2018 11:09 AM

Add a "+" sign to search multiple words

Another way to the same search box is Click on the "Search" link in the banner (3rd from the right).

Then click on the "Advanced Search" link in the bottom of the "Search" window...you should then see the same search box/window as you get doing it the other way.

Either way should work.

To answer the main part of your question, "...I'd like to search multiple words or phrases to narrow the results down.

Any insights on if (and how) this can be done?"

If you insert a "+" sign between the words you should get only posts (or thread titles, your choice) with both words in the post (or thread title).

And...if you want either word, just leave a blank between the words.

Hope this answers your question.

mfleming 12-19-2018 11:44 AM

I almost never us the VAF search function.

Using the advanced google search function is far superior for me :D

Raymo 12-19-2018 12:20 PM

Here is the How To for any search engine:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3A+vansair...u+want+to+find

tyconnell 12-19-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfleming (Post 1310540)
I almost never us the VAF search function.

Using the advanced google search function is far superior :D

- or -

use the google search page and do

<search terms> site:vansairforce.com

e.g., this morning I was interested in the term "mogas"

mogas site:vansairforce.com

Axdditionally, you may find the hits include items you don't want. You can remove "hits" that contain words / phrases you are not interested like so:

mogas site:vansairforce.com -injection

-or-
mogas site:vansairforce.com -"fuel injection"

to exclude hits with a word / phrase. Similarly, a plus sign can be used to signal a hit must include that word / phrase.

David Lewis 12-19-2018 12:33 PM

+1 for Google's advanced search . . . Makes it really easy to create variations of the search terms to filter results.

rv6ejguy 12-19-2018 12:52 PM

I find the internal search feature on VAF the best of any forum on the web and I use it almost every day. If you type in Lycoming or propeller, obviously you'll end up with thousands of results as you would with any other type of search. Never had any reason to use some external search engine.

Narrow things down by using multiple words like you would in any other web search- RV-10 doors or fuel tanks for instance. You can also search within a thread and that works great too.

The VAF search returns only words and phrases you actually typed, unlike some other search engines which seem to find unrelated stuff as well.

All this being said, this is a huge site with likely millions of posts by now. On common subjects, you'll get a lot of hits which you'll have to weed through a bit. The more specific you are, the less weeding.

Mike S 12-19-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rv7boy (Post 1310530)
Another way to the same search box is Click on the "Search" link in the banner (3rd from the right).

Then click on the "Advanced Search" link in the bottom of the "Search" window...

Also, in the next block down "Search Options" you may need to reset the "Find Posts From" dropdown menu to better define your search time frame. The default is one year or newer. If you are not sure about when the item you are looking for was posted, change to "Any Date".

pjc 12-19-2018 05:49 PM

These search tips/hints are very useful ...

... perhaps worthy of a sticky ??