What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick getaways in Michigan?

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Looking for some quick one night get aways with my wife or possilby my son this summer when time and wx allows. I know of Mackinac Island but looking for some easier cheaper options. That will be a trip but not a quick last minute one.

Criteria...
Must be near water... (ideally a big lake or a great lake)
Must have some decent hotel choices/rates.
Must have fuel on field for less than $6/gal
Must have some decent food and lodging nearby so if cabs are needed its not crazy.

Ideally a crew car and nice friendly people, and a great little harbour type town where you can sit by the water having a drink and dinner. Nothing fancy, just looking for pireps

Possible destinations... Boyne, Traverse, Cheboygan, Frankfurt, Ludington, Benton harbour. Any suggestions on where to go or NOT to go welcome

Try Wisconsin!

Door County WI is not far at all via RV from Mackinac Island.

Several cute little towns (egg harbor, Fish Creek, etc.) small gift and craft shops, lots of water, parks and exploring, fish boils, taverns, B&Bs and nice little hotels aplenty!

Very popular area, especially with folks from the Chicago area. (FIBs :D)

KHTL

Just flew to Mackinaw Island last week, on the way from Y47 we stopped at KHTL Roscommon CO airport for fuel. Nice Runway, self serve fuel and if I remember correctly it was in the mid 5 dollar range.

Airport is right new door to Houghton and Higgins lake and its really pretty!

Definitely recommend it as I have been to both the lakes and lots of cool stuff to do!

Ryan

You can skip Benton Harbor. Lundinton is ok but your other choices are better. Feel free to private email me as I flown all over MI and lived here all my life.

Steve
RV7A
Dues paid

Charlevoix. You can walk into town. Grab dinner or lunch, walk to lake Michigan or Lake Charlevoix. Cool town.

Traverse City ...

... has a couple of great FBOs. Don't know if they have a crew car, but Harbor Air was very helpful and friendly with excellent service. That quiet dinner on the water could be the Boat House up on the Mission Peninsula. :D

Great Michigan Location for trip!

Rick,
The other comments are all true. Michigan has some fantastic destinations and a trip here can have so many options. Looking at your criteria below...we fit the bill. Are we Traverse City, Charlevoix or Mackinaw Island...no. But we can make sure you have a great visit. Check out our website and the local visitors bureau site to see what you think. My email is attached to my signature so let me know if we can help.
www.manisteenational.com
www.visitmanistee.com

Criteria...
Must be near water... (ideally a big lake or a great lake)
We are on Lake Michigan and have a 6 mile inland lake as well as 2 great rivers flowing into the lake:D

Must have some decent hotel choices/rates....Well, I happen to run a great 42 room in on a golf resort with 36 holes, indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs, with great rates for RVers:eek:

Must have fuel on field for less than $6/gal....will need to confirm this for you and the field is terrific (KMBL):confused:

Must have some decent food and lodging nearby so if cabs are needed its not crazy....Our resort has a great Grille that can handle lunches and dinners on site, as well as other restaurants near by.;)

Ideally a crew car and nice friendly people, and a great little harbour type town where you can sit by the water having a drink and dinner. Nothing fancy, just looking for pireps....We are small, friendly and you have the advantage of being hosted by a fellow RVer who will guarantee a wonderful stay. And the car thing we can figure out, can likely lend you one of ours.:D

Back