What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stall warner

KCBerner

Well Known Member
What are you guys doing with the stall warner? I plan on using one of the AOA options so don't think I need the stall warning vane. Any thoughts?

The leading edge has a couple of holes prepunched to locate the vane slot. I'm thinking I can just dimple and squeeze a AD3 rivet to fill those holes. Is there a better option?

I thought about this for a while on my -7. I'm also planning on AOA, but I went ahead and installed the vane for a belt/suspenders approach. If the holes in the leading edge hadn't already been there I probably wouldn't have bothered with it.

Might be a good back up if you were to loose the AOA and air speed for some reason. We went ahead and installed it on the 10 so I did the same on the 14. You can hear the warning in the 10 on landing with the Bose headsets. With in the last year, a local pilot made a mistake when he removed an instrument to have it serviced. He departed the runway and after getting airborn noticed no airspeed. He had to land an aircraft with a considerable higher airspeed than an RV with no airspeed indication. He wasn't a builder (homebuilt aircraft) and had no idea that the pitot line he removed had to be blocked in order to have airspeed work. So it can happen.

Last edited:
I'm doing both from a liability standpoint. If I ever sold it, and a fatal stall/spin accident resulted, I'd hate for someone to say I consciously skipped a safety item....juts saying.:cool:

I left it out of my RV-10 as I will have the Garmin AOA for stall warning.

On the RV-10, the holes are punched in both wings, with instructions to "Rivet (fill) the two stall warning slot guide holes in the W-1001-R Leading Edge Skin with AN426AD3-3 rivets." So I would suggest that you fill the unused holes in your RV-14 in the same way.

Cheers,
Dave Macdonald

Back