What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any RVs in Anchorage?

Will be traveling to the great state of Alaska for the first time this summer. Curious if there are any RVs or RVers in Anchorage. We'll be in the area towards the end of July. Please let me know! Thanks,

Kent

Kent, Alaska? That sounds fun. A friend of mine used to fly up there with his boys, rent an RV and drive all over the place fishing. They always had a blast. Have fun and take pictures!

Kent make sure you go to lake hood to see the seaplane base. It is awesome. We stayed at the millenium hotel when we were there. It is right on lake hood. You could sit at the outside bar and see the seaplanes on final.

There are a number of RVs in Anchorage and the surrounding area. Most of us are at Merrill Field and are members of EAA Chapter 42. It would be great to meet you when you are here.

Flying into the Anchorage area is rather detailed so be sure to get the AF/D Alaska Supplement.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Rocky, will definitely take pictures. JFRV8, would love to connect while we're up there. Will send you a PM. Thanks again everyone.

Take Flight Alaska for rental

Several years ago (2007 or 2008, I think), my wife and I were vacationing in Alaska and rented a 172 from Take Flight Alaska (http://www.takeflightalaska.com) at Merrill Field in Anchorage. With the instructor, we flew to Talkeetna (jumping off point for Mt. McKinley climbers), up a canyon to look at glaciers, then back to Anchorage. Spectacular! It was strange to be wearing sunglasses at 11PM. As others have said, the airspace around Anchorage is challenging, and the departure procedure was... interesting to say the least. And I agree that watching arrivals and departures from the Lake Hood seaplane base is a lot of fun - very busy airport. The scenery is spectacular, you're going to love it.

Back