What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

s-tec 55x heads

blaplante

Well Known Member
I am seeing a lot of s-tec 55x control heads for sale. Apparently from Cirrus upgrades. Many with yellow tags and at attractive prices. Anyone have any idea if these could work in an RV? The servo prices seem to bust the deal.

My experience.

I have an S-Tec 55X for my Rocket build. Short story is I got a really good deal on the head and servos. I contacted S-Tec with some techincal questions and they want nothing to do with the experimental world. I'm still planning on installing the S-Tec, but am wary of any issues. You're definitely on your own with them.

That being said, I have a pdf of their wiring diagram if you need it.

Good luck with your decision!

I would just recommend staying far, far away from it especially if you're building new. Even if it were free, the best thing you could do would be to sell it for what you can on Ebay, then go buy a TruTrak, Trio, Dynon, GRT or Garmin autopilot for a good price. Then you'll have a modern autopilot that doesn't weight a ton, works well in experimentals, and have support from the companies. Also interfacing them with modern equipment and getting them adjusted properly can be a challenge to say the least. We're in the middle of pulling out a S-Tec system from a custome airplane right now (and have done so in the past).

They do work....but no reason anymore to put one in when all of the competing products are only about $1500-$2500 for an entirely autopilot, brand new from good companies. S-Tec is owned by Cobham (remember Chelton)?!

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Back