What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ever flown an RV to Jamaica??

Have followed Rosie and the crew on thier travels to Bahamas but, has anyone here flown to Jamaica in an RV. Looks like about a 300+ mile trip if one jumps off at Miami area and flys south east. Have to overfly Cuba but would be over land for much of the trip. Is it possible to get a clearance to fly over Cuba these days? And where would one land in Jamaica? Do they have light airplane friendly airports? Customs? Fees? A friend suggested it kind of off the cuff after I mentioned RV trips to the Bahamas but it would be more complicated than flying to the Bahamas so...???

As someone who has had many trips (via airliner) to Jamaica, I have tried to figure this one out as well. There is a small strip in Negril which is close to our normal resort, but I suspect you need to clear customs in Montego Bay. And I do know someone who has overflown Cuba in her -6.

All I can add of value is that it is possible to overfly Cuba on an IFR flight plan. That is what is done when going to the Caymans. How you go about filling the flight plan is another story. I do not believe that we can do it from the US but need to do it through one of the outfits in the Caymans on your behalf. Jamaica may have something similar for those flying GA there.

The Bahamas and Caribbean Pilot's Guide appears to have Jamaica covered in it. The map on the web site shows 5 airports. Not sure which ones have customs and fuel.

Since our Operating Limitations restrict us from flying outside the US without written permission from the other country, I am not sure how you go about that. The Bahamas and Canada have a from letter that you download from their web site.

Jamaica

The late Neal Loving was a native of Jamaica. He flew his homebuilt single seat racer that he designed and built round trip from Detroit to Jamaica. This was before Castro and he made multiple stops in Cuba.
An international flight plan is filed with flight service, just a different format that will ask for comm capability and emergency equipment.
Cuban overflight is normally handled thru a broker.
There are still several GA airports in Jamaica but many were closed during the 80's because of drug smuggling. In most cases the runways were rendered unuseable.

Thanks for the info Toolbuilder:

Would you be willing to share the identity of the person who overflew Cuba in thier RV-6?? I was looking at the next response and ordered the Bahamas and Caribbean Pilots guide package that RV-6 Flyer recommended. There was alot of info on the website but most of it was about Bahamas, a map did show half dozen airports on Jamaica and fuel prices for two of them but not much else. It sounds like Jamaica is in the book so I'll have to wait till it arrives to read about it. There are also some charts and forms with the package but the forms listing on the website doesn't show anything about flight plan and Cuba overflight. So if I could pick the brain of your -6 pilot who flew over Cuba it would be great. I don't think it's gonna happen this year since timing is tight but, maybe next. Thanks.

[Toobuilder;760507]As someone who has had many trips (via airliner) to Jamaica, I have tried to figure this one out as well. There is a small strip in Negril which is close to our normal resort, but I suspect you need to clear customs in Montego Bay. And I do know someone who has overflown Cuba in her -6.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can get a cuban overflight permit.
You get one free when you join: http://www.caribbeanflyingadventures.com

Re: Jamaica, I seem to remember at the SNF forum yesterday, they said they had a $600 or $700 landing fee. He's complained and let them know how much business they are losing from the GA market. You can email them for more details.

A few friends of mine have used this overflight permit to go to the Caymens.

Back