What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trip planning to St George

You should have a great trip. If you have a bit of extra time, hit the Moab area on the way down or back. It is a ways from St George, but beautiful. When Vlad flew out last summer he took some pictures. Look on this pace and post 18-19. Very cool flying through the canyon.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=92268&page=2

There are several posters from the SLC area that I am sure could give you plenty of good info on where to stay and what to see. It is an amazing part of the country. Lake Powell is another place to check out. Huge rock cliffs right to the water.

Head a little farther east and come on over to our place. We love visitors!

1. Get the special Grand Canyon sectional for navigation.
2. KGCN was not GA friendly last time I checked, expensive gas, poor ground transportation, locked gates after hours. I recommend Valle, 30 miles south of KGCN, as an alternative. Reserve their rental car, drive 30 minutes, save a lot of hassles. Motel with an okay restaurant within walking distance from the airport if you want to stay overnight.

It is hard to go wrong anywhere around there. If you are back in Saint George an hour or two before sunset, you might consider driving up to Kannaraville to watch the Sun set on Kolob Canyons of Zion NP. If you have the chance you might even consider hiking in that lightly traveled area. Cedar Breaks is another spectacular area to drive to.

DSCF3476.jpg

Cedar Breaks National Monument 2012 RV Trip

Last edited:
img0786xo2.jpg

it is not hard to have a great time out there. so much to see and do. watch out for the DA issue. long take offs are the norm. if sedona is in your area fly there. :)

img0773v.jpg

marble canyon airport is a great stop. ne of the GC.

Last edited:
It is a great trip that I have made a few times. The FBO's at St. George have come and gone so I do not know who is there now. Parking on the ramp is ok, but it is not unusual to have sand and wind storms and the airport has little protection from it out in the open desert. Last time I was there was two years ago and they had just cleaned up from a big blow. There was sand piled two feet high in places. I secured a cheap hangar from the FBO but they are now gone.

You can do all of the Grand Canyon corridors in an easy morning and Zion too. Lot's of great things to see. Get the VFR chart. Easy. Morning is best for smooth air and early morning gets you the nice shadows.

My normal flight plan has a fuel stop and leg stretch at Elko (+- 2.5 hours) then another 1.5 or so to St. George. You can get Flight Following for the Elko leg but unless you are on O2 and above 14k, they will not be able to keep you from there to St. George. I like the Elko route as it is pretty much a straight shot from PDX area and avoids most of the MOA's and for the remote desert, a pretty sane way to go. There are good alternates at Battle Mountain, Winnemuca, etc... Then from Elko you can follow the valley past Ely and down to Mt. Wilson. You can usually pick up Nellis by then, or just bust the MOA (not my favorite thing to do), or make a short jaunt around the MOA which adds little to the flight.
I have gone direct from Burns as well which is very doable. Just a longer leg. You might be able to make it direct in an 8 if you get favorable winds (most of time you will have them going, but not returning). It is very border line in my six and four hours is just too long for me to sit.

Last edited:
It doesn't blow here in Southern Utah and the town I live in is not named for being windy. We don't have Hurricanes here only Hurrican (properly pronounced)ha ha:p. I guess that being from here we're used to a bit of wind and not that of a big thing. Seriously give me a call or maybe Frank Stringham might chime in or one of the other fellows around might join in. By the way if you haven't been down here in this area you all are missing some of the worlds most spectacular scenery! Gotta come but not too many since we have so much fun without all the yahoos out there.
Scott Detton
435-619-5665

I do own a small t hanger that would be available any time if you want to use it but it's here in Hurracun and it's free. You would only need to get you a rental car but I could drive you to SG almost any time. Hanger needs blowing out of dust and mice since it only has my wings stored right now rest is at my hanger at house? Check out 1L8 some get frightened at the size but don't let that bother you since it's the first runway I was taught in to get my Private Pilot in a tail wheel. But beggars cant be choosey and it's free!:)

I would add that seeing things like Zion from the RV is great you really need to go into the park and see it from ground level. It is awe inspiring. It's hard to get a sense of scale from the air.
I love the area and agree totally with airflite. I will be there next month on my annual trip to the area. 20 years and counting. Have fun.

Back