What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Andair fuel selector - basic questions

Scott Will

Well Known Member
If I were to install an Andair fuel selector, would you have to replace the stock fuel valve plate F-983A?

And another simple Andair fuel valve question, if you are using an IO-360 do you need to order the duplex one with dual fittings? Also what fittings do people usually get with the Andair fuel selectors?

Thanks much in advance!

Get the latest 45 degree one, the FS20 - 7 which is their latest.

I am waiting for it to arrive !

Andair Fuel Selector

Scott,
You can actually use the old one and reverse it to have it at approximately 45 degrees. I made my own out of 063? Alclad and used BANJO fittings as it allowed me to not have the bends in the fuel lines exactly perfect as there is a little adjustment in the banjo fitting.
email me [email protected] and I shall send ou some piciures.

regards,

Pete.

mike newall said:
I am waiting for it to arrive !

How long have you been waiting? One person (in the Netherlands) reported that it took two months to arrive direct from Andair.

I have been waiting since the beginning of January !

To be fair to Andair, I have spoken to them and they said they were struggling a bit to cope with volume and maintain quality - a problem when you produce a good item I guess.

They have phoned me to say it has despatched but nothing will arrive until after Easter now.

I should probably order soon considering the lead time.

Anyways, what fittings would be best for 20x7? Female 1/4" NPT?

Andair Fuel valve

I used banjo fittings on an FS 20-7 when I replaced the fuel valve in my -6. Can't remember making any mods to the mounting plate. I would recommend the banjo fittings, a little more expensive but makes the installation much easier. The Andair valve is way superior to the one supplied with the kit!

Pete

Vans has Andair instock - or did anyway.

I ordered the FS20x3. They had it instock and I had it a week later. Think that they also had versions for fuel tank return if you needed that feature. Just thought I'd pass the info along. This was about one month ago.

Working on Fuselage.

Last edited:
It arrived yesterday.

The correct fittings are a 1/4 NPT female because you then put a #6 elbow to turn the tube entry down, the supply goes to a T piece for the bypass on the electric pump. I am assuming you are using a fuel injected engine with the API pump.

There are numerous "banjo" fittngs

I fell into the "banjo" fitting trap. I thought there was only one, so I bought two of them from my favorite suplier - Spruce. They only sell one type the BF250, which it turns out buys you nothing in terms of the limited space for placement in a RV-7A project. I had thought that's what the "banjo" fitting would accomplish for me. When I got the fittings, I could see just finger snug that they would not provide the clearance needed. I checked out the Andair site and it seems clear that what I need is an Andair BF20, not the BF250 that is the only banjo fitting Spruce offers.

I've ordered a couple from Wicks, but they only have one in stock. Thankfully there's plenty to do while I wait 4-6 weeks.

Check out the fittings at this site: http://www.andair.co.uk/system/index.html on the accessories - fittings page, and I think you'll see why the BF250 won't fit, while the BF20 will.

Cheers,
Tom Wruble

Very Basic Andair question

An even more basic question that I did not find searching the archives...

Why go with an Andair valve? Is it just that they look nicer than Van's (I agree) or is there a functional reason? I figured I better get this figured out before getting too far along in the fuse kit.

thanks.

If you have an engine that requires a fuel return line and you want that line to switch to the same tank you're drawing from, you will need the very expensive dual port Andair valve.

Otherwise, the normal Andair valve just looks purdier. And costs $140 additional.

Yes, there is a safety benefit as they have a positive detents for each selection. You know for sure where the selector is at... the Van's faucet thingy doesn't do this.

Also, if you have a purge return line you can either buy the more expensive Andair valve which I'm not sure will fit. Or you can tee into the line. Dan has a picture of how he did this on his site. Check it out here .

Back